Summer Intern - Features
Hearst NewspapersSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Unpaid Internship
This position is a writing, research and social media position within the features department. The reporter intern will work for one of the feature department's topic areas – arts and entertainment, food and drink, travel, style or design.
• Team up with a section editor or senior writer to develop a micro-beat for duration of internship
• Develop a pitch own idea for stories, and write assigned stories. Stories will range during duration of internship from quick-hit posts in reaction to the daily news to longer form pieces with original reporting. The internship requires 2-3 stories per week.
• Attend weekly features staff meetings and contribute to story/section brainstorming.
• Develop a social media campaign around the stories of the micro-beat.
• Optional: Podcast or video production, for research project or micro-beat.
• Assist editor or senior editor with research tasks on a key features team project. This may include online research, interviews, fact-checking, photo/video/audio research.
• To gain an understanding of how a major metropolitan newsroom works
• To write every week, for both print and online.