Summer Intern - Business Reporting
Hearst NewspapersSan Francisco, CA
This was removed by the employer on 12/21/2020 11:20:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Internships Category
Search for Summer Intern - Business Reporting jobs in San Francisco-CA
Search all Summer Intern - Business Reporting postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Summer Intern - Business Reporting? Job description: We're looking for a reporter to join our fast-paced, digitally focused business team. The intern will receive training and mentoring but also hit the ground running, covering a variety of stories and multimedia assignments from the office and in the field. Breaking news is a focus of internships, with an emphasis on labor and employment, lawsuits, policy and regulations affecting businesses, and the overall business climate. However, there are opportunities to pursue other topics depending on interest and experience. The ideal candidate will hustle, work quickly and compete to be first on a story, while seeking to engage readers online through the smart use of social media, graphics and charts, and alternative story forms. We need someone with high standards who can collaborate well, has excellent communication skills and is comfortable providing and taking feedback.
Internships are full-time, typically last for 10 weeks and are paid.
Requirements: Weekend, evening and holiday work may be required as news warrants. Applicants must be currently enrolled in an undergraduate or graduate program. The intern will likely work remotely due to the pandemic, but preference may be given to candidates who reside in the Bay Area and are able to cover field assignments.
• Report and write news articles for The Chronicle and SFChronicle.com.
• Enhance stories by conceiving of photo and video opportunities and developing infographics in collaboration with the photo, design and digital departments.
• Receive training and mentoring from editors and colleagues across departments.
What we're looking for:
• Overall: Someone eager to find and chase good stories, while engaging online readers through compelling headlines and multimedia. Strong writing skills are important, as is a strict dedication to accuracy and ethics. The candidate must be able to self-manage, handle tight deadlines and communicate with tools like Slack.
• Newsroom experience: We are looking for someone who has some newsroom experience; strong college publication experience or previous internships preferred, but not required.
Mission: The Chronicle is the Bay Area's authoritative news source. This position serves as an intern on the business team. The business department tracks the Bay Area's evolving economy, helping readers make informed decisions about how they live, work and spend. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.