Hearst NewspapersSan Francisco, CA
This was removed by the employer on 3/5/2021 3:16:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Browse the Sports Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Sports Editor jobs in San Francisco-CA
Search all Sports Editor postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Sports Editor? Sports Editor, San Francisco Chronicle
The San Francisco Chronicle has an opening for an ambitious and resourceful editor to lead our sports department while guiding and continuing a digital transformation. The editor will oversee beat coverage of professional teams, commentary from award-winning columnists and enterprise and feature reporting on the biggest local and national issues. The editor will be responsible for the daily print sports section, the ''Sporting Green,'' but the priority is the online product.
We are looking for a dynamic, positive communicator who can recruit and develop talent and partner with photographers, artists, designers and others to make stories captivate and resonate. A successful candidate will thrive in a collaborative environment and engage readers on a variety of platforms. The person will embrace multimedia tools, including video and podcasts, and be energized by the challenge of producing work, often on tight deadlines, that is revealing and exclusive.
Strong editing, team-building and project management skills are a must, as is a deep commitment to journalism that is fair and reflects a diversity of viewpoints.
What you will do:
• Supervise, edit and professionally develop the sports staff, while collaborating with journalists across the newsroom.
• Develop and pitch ideas for ongoing features, special projects and issues, newsletters and podcasts.
• Manage the daily production of the print sports section.
• Lead an ongoing digital transformation of sports coverage, with a focus on increasing readership and subscriptions.
• Ensure that the department's coverage and resources reflect the diversity of readers and interests in the Bay Area.
What it will take to be successful:
• At least five years of experience at a daily newspaper, magazine or web publication or the equivalent.
• Strong news judgment, creativity and meticulousness.
• Knowledge of multimedia storytelling, social media engagement and other strategies to broaden readership and deepen impact.
• Ability to collaborate with all newsroom teams and work in a fast-changing news environment.
• This position is full time.
• Weekend, evening and holiday work may be required.
• The successful candidate must be based in the Bay Area or willing to move to the region when it's mutually agreed that it's safe enough to do so.
About The San Francisco Chronicle and SFChronicle.com:
The San Francisco Chronicle is world-class journalism. With name-brand voices and a keen editorial eye, it is an authority that still surprises. The Chronicle, one of the largest news organizations in the West, has been named California's best large newsroom in four of the past five years.
SFChronicle.com delivers the Bay Area's best journalism. It is the Bay Area's authoritative online news source, focused on San Francisco but inclusive of all California and Western news that reflects the unique Bay Area experience. The staff won ONA Online Journalism Awards for General Excellence in 2020 and for Breaking News coverage in 2019 and 2020.
Join our team of world-class journalists. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.