Hearst NewspapersSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Reporter, San Francisco Chronicle
The San Francisco Chronicle has an immediate opening for an ambitious, versatile journalist to work in our fast-paced newsroom. The reporter will take on an essential beat position within the local news operation. While the topic will depend on the skills and interests of the candidate and the needs of the newsroom, possible beats include housing, politics, City Hall, climate change, inequality and the coronavirus pandemic.
Reporters at The Chronicle seek to provide must-read, best-in-class coverage through scoops, quick-hit enterprise stories, investigations and utility-focused pieces that give our audience clear, actionable information from a diverse array of viewpoints. The successful candidate will hustle and compete to be first on a story, while engaging readers by taking advantage of multimedia, pitching alternative story forms, and collaborating with photographers, graphic artists, developers, podcast producers and others.
We're seeking a self-starter with high standards who has excellent communication skills, is comfortable providing and taking feedback, is committed to inclusive journalism, and wants to own the stories that matter most.
What you will do:
• Report and write news articles for SFChronicle.com and The San Francisco Chronicle.
• Cover a critical subject area, competing with local and national outlets to provide readers the timeliest and most authoritative information.
• Produce high-impact digital projects by collaborating with other newsroom teams.
• Appear as a guest on The Chronicle's daily news podcast, Fifth & Mission.
What it will take to be successful:
• At least three years of experience in a modern newsroom or a related work environment.
• Strong news judgment, creativity and meticulousness.
• Ability to report stories and write quickly while keeping the strictest commitment to fairness and accuracy.
• Knowledge of multimedia storytelling, social media engagement and other strategies to broaden readership.
• Ability to collaborate with all newsroom teams and work in a fast-changing news environment.
• This position is full-time.
• It will likely include some weekend work.
• The successful candidate must be based in the Bay Area or willing to move to the region.
About The San Francisco Chronicle and SFChronicle.com:
The San Francisco Chronicle is world-class journalism. With name-brand voices and a keen editorial eye, The Chronicle is an authority that still surprises. The Chronicle, one of the largest news organizations in the West, has been named California's best large newsroom for four of the past five years.
SFChronicle.com delivers the Bay Area's best journalism. It is the Bay Area's authoritative online news source, focused on San Francisco but inclusive of all California and Western news that reflects the unique Bay Area experience. The staff won ONA Online Journalism Awards for General Excellence in 2020 and for Breaking News coverage in 2019 and 2020.
Join our team of world-class journalists.