Hearst NewspapersHouston, TX
This was removed by the employer on 8/13/2021 1:14:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Assistant and Entry Level Category
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Browse the Studio Facilities/Equipment Category
Search for Press Operator jobs in Houston-TX
Search all Press Operator postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Press Operator?
Full Time Job
1. Verifies size, color, and type of paper and color of ink from job order. Cleans inking rolls with solvent, using protective gloves, and replaces them in press using hand tools. Loads ink fountains with new colors required for the job.
2. Adjusts controls to regulate volume of ink. Packs impression cylinder with appropriate materials.
3. Adjusts take-off tapes and positions and locks form on cylinder of press.
4. Directs press feeder or assistant in adjustment of feed guides, grippers, and elevator.
5. Starts press and runs off proof sheets, examining proofs to determine off-level areas, variations in ink volume, register slippage, indications of offsetting, and color register. Adjusts press controls, ink fountains, and automatic feeders and repacks cylinders with overlay to equalize off-level areas.
6. Operates cylinder press with cutting attachments to cut or shape paper or paperboard.
7. Inspects product regularly during press run and adjusts settings and ink viscosity or shuts down press and makes adjustments.
8. Troubleshoots quality problems and finds answers or seeks help from supervisor.
9. Makes repairs on equipment, replacing worn or damaged parts. Assists department mechanic in making major repairs and overhauls.
10. Keeps count of completed product on each run and records and disposes of spoilage to paper baler. Posts production delays and their causes.
11. Notifies supervisor of recurring equipment malfunction or poor-quality raw material.
1. Depending on production requirements for the shift, may operate more into overtime.
2. In the event of low business levels, junior press operators may revert to press feeder status.
1. Color vision acuity.
2. At least five years' offset press experience (experience with Goss Metro Presses preferred).
3. Ability to lift 55 pounds.
4. Must be able to perform well under deadline constraints and meet quality standards.
5. Willingness to work rotating shifts and, if needed, holidays and weekends.
6. Job involves standing most of the shift.
7. Mechanical aptitude and agility to move around press units.