Hearst NewspapersFremont, CA
Full Time Job
Purpose and Objective: Support PPM and OM systems, monitor system level functions, Imagesetters, monitor rips, produce printing plates and electronic images for printing in the newspaper. Track page files for both Printing plates and Electronic E-editions.
1. Perform and log daily equipment maintenance (change image setter media, refill chemicals, etc.).
2. Ensure PDFs are ''scaled/adjusted'' for printing on BAPS presses.
3. Track and log normal page flow and document updated pages.
4. Examine first print copies to ensure the page folios, color and lap match the job docket.
5. Make printing plates for the press ensuring plate burn, chemistry, and bend is in tolerance.
6. Communicate with publishers to resolve page flow issues and ensure on-time plate production.
7. Collaborate with CSRs to accommodate ad-hoc requests from publishers.
8. Effectively coordinate job change requests from the press supervisors when hardware issues arise.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required.
Experience, Skills, Licenses, Certification, Education Required:
1. Strong work ethics. High degree of problem-solving skills.
2. Reliable, self-starter. Ability to react to change productively.
3. Have the ability to multi-task; establish a good rapport with editorial, classified and the pressroom.
4. Understand a production problem reporting structure.
5. Must have experience in PC computer operation.
6. Must have basic skills in Microsoft Office, and Adobe Acrobat (In-Design, Photo Shop a plus).
7. Experience in newspaper plate production helpful.