Photo Assignment Editor
Hearst NewspapersSan Francisco, CA
This was removed by the employer on 8/4/2021 3:14:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Animation/Graphic Design/Visual FX Category
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Browse the Post Production Category
Search for Photo Assignment Editor jobs in San Francisco-CA
Search all Photo Assignment Editor postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Photo Assignment Editor?
Full Time Job
Assignments Photo Editor
The San Francisco Chronicle is looking for an energetic visuals editor to join our award-winning team of photojournalists. Are you an editor who can foster exceptional photo and video storytelling, while working with a sense of urgency to meet the demands and deadline pressure of today's news business?
A qualified candidate should demonstrate a proven track record of delivering high-quality, sophisticatedly sequenced images for multiple platforms. The editor must be a quick learner with social media savvy who is willing to take on new digital assignments. In this position, the successful candidate will be responsible for managing the day-to-day scheduling of photographers and videographers. That means working with reporters, editors and the visual team to create high quality stories and related content.
We're seeking a skilled communicator and effective collaborator who can juggle photo assignments and picture editing while managing and coaching visual journalists. Strong news judgment and the ability to spot opportunities for high-impact visual journalism in photo requests and news events is crucial. This editor coordinates and directs photographers to meet deadlines, oversees the planning of visuals, and ensures the right volume and quality of content for both daily and enterprise needs.
Duties specific to this role:
• Coordinates with reporters and editors to ensure accurate and engaging photo video coverage of assignments
• Edits and assigns photo requests received from section editors
• Identifies and assigns video opportunities
• Assures that all assignments are shot and submitted by deadline, including editing and caption review
• Oversees the scheduling of staff photographers
• Acts as liaison between photographers and topics editors
• Identifies and advises topics editors of possible feature photos, videos or photo essays
• Works with freelancers to assign and manage assignments
• Recruits and develops new freelancers
• Builds relationships with outside companies to obtain handouts and create photo ops
• Use social media to share your work and connect with our audience
• Edits daily news photos for print and digital
• Creates Visual Essays for projects and breaking news
• Manages and evaluates photographers
• Manages the photo freelance budget
• Manages freelancer invoices and payments
What will it take to be successful?
• Prior experience at a (preferably daily) media outlet
• Bachelor's degree in journalism or photography or equivalent
• Experience with shooting and editing video and stills on an iPhone
• Knowledge of photo and video software programs such as Photoshop, Photo Mechanic, and Final Cut Pro or equivalent
• Experience in editing of photographs and captions
• Knowledge of photographic equipment and how it functions.
• Ability to supervise the work of others
• Some nights and weekends required
• Excellent news judgement
• Ability to work under constant deadline pressure
• Knows how to use time efficiently in a 24-hour newsroom
• Effective communicator; able to get along with diverse personalities
• Knowledge of copyright law as it applies to photography