Newspaper Assistant Editor
Hearst NewspapersJacksonville, IL
This was removed by the employer on 6/27/2023 3:14:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Newspaper Assistant Editor jobs in Jacksonville-IL
Search all Newspaper Assistant Editor postings
Full Time Job
Newspaper Assistant Editor
The award-winning Jacksonville Journal-Courier is a highly successful newspaper focused on providing Jacksonville, Ill., authentic community journalism. We are seeking a highly motivated assistant editor to join the newsroom that would be responsible for helping plan the contents of the publication, help supervise the work of the editorial department and oversee the publication production, as well as produce original content for the publication's print and digital products.
As an Assistant Editor for the newspaper, you can expect the following:
• Prepare, rewrite, and edit copy to improve readability.
• Create digital and print content considering the reader of audience appeal.
• Verify facts, dates, and statistics, using standard reference sources.
• Read copy or proof to detect and correct errors in spelling, punctuation, and syntax.
• Review and approve proofs submitted by reporters prior to publication production.
• Assist editor with supervision and coordination work of the editorial department
• Work with the Audience Development team to create digital content based on audience data.
• Help the editor assign topics, events and stories to individual writers or reporters for coverage.
• Confer with other departments and management regarding placement and emphasis of developing news stories.
Qualification and Skills
• Bachelor's degree
• At least 2 years experience working in the field.
• Knowledge both in maintaining and driving digital-first thinking in the newsroom to being able to study and determine trends based on analytics.
• Knowledge of the structure and content of the English language including the meaning and spelling of words, rules of composition, and grammar.
• Knowledge of media production, communication, and dissemination techniques and methods. This includes alternative ways to inform and entertain via written, oral, and visual media.
• Knowledge and use of AP Style.
• Selecting and using training/instructional methods and procedures appropriate for the situation when learning or teaching new things.
• Motivate, develop and direct people as they work, identifying the best people for the job. Manage one's own time and the time of others. Using a computer application to lay out pages, type text, insert pictures, format, edit, print, save, and retrieve word-processing documents.
• Requires meeting strict deadlines.
• Knowledge of content management systems for both print and online.