News Editor, Chron
Hearst NewspapersHouston, TX
This was removed by the employer on 8/18/2023 5:14:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Search for News Editor, Chron jobs in Houston-TX
Search all News Editor, Chron postings
Full Time Job
News Editor, Chron
Chron is looking for a News Editor to help shape our daily news coverage. The ideal candidate will have a finger on the pulse of the city and surrounding region we serve, and have demonstrated experience producing and editing compelling digital news content. The News Editor will be a versatile journalist who can spot stories that will resonate with a diverse local audience, and edit content on everything from transportation and schools to politics, housing, weather and more. This person will work closely with the Deputy Managing Editor for News & Sports to ensure that all content meets the highest standards of quality, accuracy, and timeliness.
Your duties on the team:
• Assign news stories to staff reporters, freelance writers and contributors, seeing the process through from the workshopping stage to editing and publishing, while assuring that content reflects sound reporting and eye-catching headlines
• Generate story ideas informed by knowledge of current trends, issues and topics affecting Houston
• Coach and develop young reporters on newsgathering, headlines and writing with voice and precision
you would bring to the team:
• Idea generation: keep fresh ideas flowing to assure the site is fed with compelling content
• Local perspective: you know Houston well, understand what residents care about
• Excellent reporting, writing, editing and communication chops, particularly within news journalism
• Compelling, provocative headline writing balanced with SEO skills
• Ability to manage reporters daily, keeping them motivated and inspired
• Facility with analytics tools and ability to unpack those metrics to spot areas of opportunity and audience growth
• High metabolism for turning out must-read stories every day
• 3 years of relevant experience in writing and editing in publishing or digital media
• Experience in, and understanding of, Houston
• Top-notch writing and editing skills
• Excellent news judgment and understanding of both media ethics and AP Style
• Experience managing or mentoring other writers
• Facility with content management systems, analytics tools like Google Trends, social media platforms, and other publishing tools
About the Houston Chronicle:
The Houston Chronicle serves Houston's 2.3 million residents - as well as all of Texas - with content and marketing solutions across two of Houston's largest websites, HoustonChronicle.com and Chron.com, along with our newspaper and magazine brands. The content and innovative business solutions we provide invite readers to join conversations about communities we've been helping prosper for more than 120 years.
About Hearst Newspapers:
With 2,500 employees across the nation, HNP encompasses a network of 24 daily and 52 weekly publications, including the San Francisco Chronicle, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News and Albany Times Union, several top digital-only news and lifestyle sites, marketing services businesses, and entertainment businesses such as King Features Syndicate.
At HNP, we are investing in new and innovative ways to tell stories – growing newsrooms, diversifying tools, evolving platforms – to support the millions of people who trust us each month to help them make decisions, take action and be inspired.
Be a part of something bigger – your headline awaits.