Hearst NewspapersBridgeport, CT
Full Time Job
• Conceptualize and assign stories, guide staffers through the reporting process and edit their work to a high polish, with excellent command of grammar, usage and AP style
• Move easily between print and digital platforms, making sure that full advantage is taken of digital tools and techniques including video, photo galleries, social media and search engine optimization
• Ensure that all stories make full use of appropriate graphics and photography, and assist designers in producing pages that not only serve the content but are visually pleasing
• Understand digital metrics and use them in informing coverage
• Assume primary responsibility for compiling and maintaining news budgets for publications, assigning stories to pages and working with designers to create a complete and attractive package
• Work well without direct supervision, especially in editing
• Represent publications professionally with the general public and at community and civic events
• Help in the long- and short-term newsroom and story-planning and editing to provide direction in compliance with editorial standards of the newspaper.
• Work with both the day and night shifts, helping to successfully translate the focus of the day's news-gathering effort into the finished product.
• Help develop the talents of young staffers, offering constructive criticism of their work. Coordinate with managers in other newsrooms and non-editorial departments on projects.
• Work with weekend editor coordinating coverage and assisting on Sunday page lay-outs.
• Assist in development of editorial staff
• Assist in various personnel functions, including hiring, overseeing the annual review process, promotions and vacation schedules, among other things.
• College Degree required
• Demonstrated experience managing newsroom personnel and producing high-quality breaking news and enterprise journalism across print and digital platforms
Send a cover letter, resume and clips for review.
HCMG is committed to growing and retaining a more diverse workforce that better reflects the communities we serve. We strongly encourage all people of working age, who are traditionally underrepresented in media to apply, including women, people of color, applicants with disabilities, those from the LGBTQ community and veterans.
Some great candidates may not check all the boxes for this role. If you're a passionate, dedicated worker who's interested in Hearst Connecticut Media Group but don't have all the skills listed here, please still reach out and tell us more about what you bring to the table.