Hearst NewspapersAlbany, NY
Full Time Job
Hearst Newspapers is seeking a features editor to drive the daily lifestyle editorial for a new digital media brand rooted in the Hudson Valley and Capital Regions. The ideal candidate will be a wellspring of ideas, have a finger on the pulse of the regions we serve, and assure our features content packs voice and fresh perspective.
It's rare to be able to join a new journalism venture in its earliest stages and shape its direction, and we welcome an ambitious self starter to help blaze this fast-growing site's path.
Your Duties on the Team
• Assign, write and edit features stories to assure the site reflects a buzzy, rich mix of content that inspires and serves readers.
• Spot interesting regional story ideas, and work with a team of contributors and freelancers to execute.
• Assure our features are well reported and written, and reflective of both the region and our brand voice.
• Work closely with the editorial team - particularly the Managing Editor, Homepage, and Social Media Editors - to coordinate daily coverage and futures plan.
The Skills You Would Bring to the Team
• Nose for what makes a good story that will pop among regional readers and potentially add to a national conversation
• Idea generation: keep fresh ideas flowing to assure the site is fed daily with interesting, timely features written by you and the writers you will work with.
• Strong writing skills and flawless editing.
• Ability to find a deep, diverse stable of freelance writers to contribute regularly.
• Unruffled nature in a fast-paced, always-on news environment.
• Think about how features unfold cross-platform, ideate unique social components to digital storytelling
• 3-5 years of relevant experience in writing, editing, and managing writers, editors or producers in publishing or digital media
• Bachelor's or master's degree in Journalism, Digital Media Studies, Communications, English, Literature or related fields from an accredited college or university, or equivalent, with a record that demonstrates suitable preparation for this role.
• Ability to work autonomously from a remote office while maintaining open communication and a collaborative spirit with the team.
• Excellent news judgment and understanding of media ethics
• Experience in, and understanding of, the region that includes the Hudson Valley, Capital Region and Adirondacks
Hearst is a global corporation with a wide diversity of companies. We offer competitive salaries and a full benefits package. Including medical, dental and vision coverage; 40K with match; paid vacations, holidays and personal time; tuition assistance and much more.