Hearst NewspapersHouston, TX
Full Time Job
Hearst Newspapers is seeking an Executive Producer of Chron.com who can drive editorial strategy and serve as the day-to-day managing editor. Their mission will be to develop and deepen Chron.com as a well-trafficked, authoritative destination site separate and distinct from the Houston Chronicle subscriber site HoustonChronicle.com, which earns loyalty from locals while also being a rich resource for travelers to the area.
This person should have an innate story sense-able to identify and nurture local stories of national importance and have a stable of writers on tap to write them. The ideal candidate needs to be an editorial strategist with a deep understanding of not only digital operations and audience growth, but also the alchemy of combining service journalism, culture, commentary, and news into a single property with a well-articulated voice, tone, and POV.
Getting all these pieces into place will drive allow Hearst to grow affiliate revenue, increase premium ad sales, and create strategic partnerships. Beyond being a great editor, this person should also be well versed at overseeing digital analytics and audience development.
The ideal candidate will bring the following:
• Experience working/living in Houston as a local - you know what the city needs and have strong ideas on what will attract the Houston reader.
• Experience working at another Texas-based media property and so can bring fresh thinking and ideas here.
• Experience working outside of Texas for a modern media company that is well-trafficked and can bring best practices to Chron - especially around Audience Development and Social Engagement.
• You have crafted a keen sensibility for what works, both locally and nationally.
• Be ready to take on managing editor responsibilities around project management, team cadence, training and development - all while ensuring writers are capable of producing quality stories at scale.
Key Candidate Attributes:
• Interest in and familiarity with Houston culture
• Experience launching and re-booting editorial strategies for media companies
• Audience Development and Social Engagement Specialist
• Digital Operations Expert
• Analytics Pro
• Enjoys managing and training others!
Major accomplishments in year one:
1. Create a new editorial roadmap for Chron.com; including content strategy, Audience Development strategy, hiring plan, and beyond.
2. Plug in to Houston's cultural zeitgeist, determine how to create differentiated content that will be adored and appreciated by locals. Determine how to convert passive readers into loyal ones.
3. Shape and refine the voice, tone and POV of Chron.com.
4. Create a game plan to get local stories covered at a state, regional and national level.
5. Conduct a talent audit of existing operations; create a hiring/training plan to align with that strategy.
6. Examine metrics to evaluate what's currently working/not working; set new KPIs and devise optimization strategies to make Chron.com a daily (or more) must-read for locals (and anyone who wants to travel to Houston).
We require requite experience for this role. College degree preferred.