Executive Editor & SVP, Chronicle
Hearst NewspapersHouston, TX
This was removed by the employer on 10/2/2023 7:13:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Browse the Executive Positions Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Executive Editor & SVP, Chronicle jobs in Houston-TX
Search all Executive Editor & SVP, Chronicle postings
Full Time Job
Executive Editor & SVP, Houston Chronicle
At Hearst, our employees are motivated to inform, inspire and provoke while being honest, relentless, fearless and startlingly original. In order to be successful in our mission, it's important that we maintain a culture built on continuous learning, integrity, authenticity and innovation. We believe in helping our employees tell their own stories through professional development and boundless opportunity, and in return ensure they have a deep understanding of how their contributions help tell the story of one of the most celebrated media organizations in the world.
The Houston Chronicle is in search of an executive editor to serve as editor and senior vice president for the Houston Chronicle.
The executive editor directly oversees all journalism and content for the Houston Chronicle's print edition, paid websites, and a suite of free newspapers associated with the Houston Community newspaper group. S/he sets editorial direction for a newsroom of approximately 150. S/he is a strategic partner with the Houston Chronicle executive committee, helping to set strategy, manage priorities, develop new products and initiatives, and represent the Houston Chronicle in the broader Houston community.
• Sets an ambitious editorial direction for the Houston Chronicle and its websites, specific editions and issues.
• Responsible for all newsroom hiring, recommends various personnel actions relating to hiring, performance appraisals, promotions, transfers, etc.
• Reviews all articles, story forms, graphics and photographs for accuracy as well as potential libel or slander, and provides suggestions, if needed, about any changes to make before the publication goes to press or is released digitally.
• Ensures journalists create and edit content of the highest quality and motivates them to strive for excellence, thus helping in achieving the goals and objectives set by the organization.
• Supervise the staff members, provide constructive feedback, and make recommendations for improving the quality of all content across our print and digital platforms.
• Ensures that that journalists are adhering by the rules and regulations of the organization, that they adhere to the highest ethical standards, and comply with Hearst legal procedures.
• Meets regularly with the publisher to discuss issues, plans, and other business relating to the Houston Chronicle and the company's strategic priorities.
• Responsible for drawing up budget proposals and any other information requested by the publisher.
• Generates innovative ideas for new content, new platforms, and new ways of doing things, such as using new technology, implementing ways to increase readership, and utilizing new media.
• Exceptional leadership and interpersonal skills
• Stays current with best practices across the industry
• Excellent editing skills and exceptional command over verbal and written communication skills
• Able to deliver quality work across multiple platforms while meeting all deadlines
• Able to function independently as well as work in/lead a team
• Attention to detail
• Community Interactions
• Bachelor's degree in Communication, Media, or other related concentrations
• Minimum of 15 years' experience in daily journalism
• Ability to embrace change and innovation
• Capable of leading ambitious journalism of the highest caliber
• Previous leadership experience in a newsroom of significant size
• Outstanding written and verbal communication skills
• Demonstrated creative mindset and enthusiasm for online media
• Understanding of business leaders' issues and information needs
WHAT WE OFFER:
There has never been a more exciting time to join the Houston Chronicle. Our business is growing and transforming every day. Advertisers are partnering with us to help them navigate new marketing strategies in today's increasingly complex digital environment. Simply put, the Houston Chronicle is a media company that uses its rich history and data to deliver the most impactful media campaigns for our customers. We leverage our substantial audience reach, coupled with best in class advertising solutions to keep our customer's brand in front of the right people at the right time.
Why are we different? Our people! Our company is diverse and filled with smart, passionate people who want to make a difference in their community, regardless of the role they play in the company. We offer an upbeat and collaborative working environment and expect our people to challenge the norm.
About Hearst Newspapers:
With 2,500 employees across the nation, HNP encompasses a network of 24 daily and 52 weekly publications, including the San Francisco Chronicle, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News and Albany Times Union, several top digital-only news and lifestyle sites, marketing services businesses, and entertainment businesses such as King Features Syndicate.
At HNP, we are investing in new and innovative ways to tell stories – growing newsrooms, diversifying tools, evolving platforms – to support the millions of people who trust us each month to help them make decisions, take action and be inspired.
Be a part of something bigger – your headline awaits.