Hearst NewspapersSan Antonio, TX
This was removed by the employer on 6/29/2021 12:14:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Broadcast News Category
Browse the TV Station Category
Search for Education Reporter jobs in San Antonio-TX
Search all Education Reporter postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire an Education Reporter?
Full Time Job
The San Antonio Express News is looking for an Education Reporter that has the ability to generate story ideas, write to video, and do compelling live shots. We are looking for a strong, take-charge reporter who hits the ground running every day. The successful candidate loves breaking news and is highly competitive. We value strong enterprise reporting and we're looking for someone who finds the stories that lead newscasts. The Reporter is someone who can bring the energy of live reporting to our anchor desk. In addition to credibility, poise, and personality; we are looking for a reporter who isn't afraid to head out into the field and break the big stories. We are looking for a versatile, enterprising self-starter who is fast, efficient, works well under tight deadlines, can develop sources, and has excellent live reporting skills.
The Education Team covers an array of school districts and universities whose half million student reflect San Antonio's diversity and disparities and will determine its future. The school districts include some of the largest in Texas, notably the Northside, North East and San Antonio's Independent School Districts. The team also monitors the Texas Education Agency, an immensely powerful and minimally accountable state bureaucracy. The Education team members are a team in more than name. They work closely together, breaking news, following the money, producing important enterprise, and covering politics at its most basic, frequently combined with public corruption at its most crass. This is a great opportunity to cover one of the most important storylines of the pandemic for a quality regional newspaper that pursues ambitious journalism in a warm, supportive environment.
• Works with and guides reporters and producers in newscast production.
• Regularly plans, gathers and assembles stories on day-of news or special project assignments.
• Works with or without a photographer to gather and edit compelling video and captivating sound.
• Coordinates with news managers and producers to develop stories that go beyond surface details, that accentuate unique enterprise angles, and have exclusive content.
• Develops a network of sources who provide tips, early access to information, and allow the reporter to break stories of significance.
• Will contribute pictures, video and text updates to mobile platforms consistently throughout the day.
• Can juggle multiple stories and projects at once, demonstrates exceptional time-management skills by meeting all deadlines under extraordinary pressure.
• Unwavering journalistic integrity and ethical standards.
• Past reporting experience (2-5 years) required.
• Demonstrated ability to enterprise and uncover.
• Your demo reel should be indicative of your everyday work.
• Strong writing and storytelling skills.
• Ability to operate mobile transmission devices and use latest technology.
• Has a valid driver's license.
• Ability to work varied shifts.
• Can deal with the stresses and pressures of time-sensitive newscast production.
• Bachelor's degree preferred or equivalent proven work experience.