Director Of Ecommerce and Audience Development
Hearst NewspapersNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Director, Ecommerce/Social Commerce and Audience Development - King Features
King Features has a portfolio of world-class pop culture brand franchises targeting a variety of fan bases and audience segments. Our mission is to help our creative contributors build a following for these IP franchises including Popeye, Olive Oyl, Zits, The Phantom, Flash Gordon and Cuphead as well as other emerging properties.
The Director, Ecommerce/Social Commerce and Audience Development, will be responsible for the P&L of an ecommerce and social commerce plan, social media expansion, selection and merchandising of ecom products for King Features comics and entertainment brands. This role will strategically partner and collaborate with other members of the team, along with the President, to advance the mission and profitability of the division through change and growth.
To be successful in this role, you are confident in managing an ecommerce program for multiple brands while, at the same time, helping to build a social following/fanbase for key brands. You will lead or implement integrations along with external partners and guide optimizations of our ecom store. Ultimately, you'll make sure we use the latest eCommerce technology in the market to maximize our productivity, efficiency, and drive ecommerce and social commerce sales.
Major Areas of Responsibility:
• Ownership and optimization of direct to consumer ecommerce P&L in order to deliver profitable business growth
• Deliver both growth in revenue and increases in EBITDA by expanding audience reach to drive the company's success in ecommerce, social commerce and audience engagement for our comic properties and entertainment based brands.
• Manage and oversee implementation for data collection initiatives to increase quality and quantity of first party data for analysis across platforms including social media.
• Audience Development: Oversee the implementation of an audience development strategy based on comic and entertainment properties to drive engagement and revenue by monetization through shoppable posts and ecommerce. Leverage YouTube for audience growth
• Product & Marketing: Develop products for ecommerce. Drive optimized messaging, CTA's and conversion rates for all channels of distribution. Manage marketing technology tools and data collection to continually improve the direct to consumer experience and shape products that build brand awareness, grow our user base, and drive user engagement.
• Customer Engagement & Retention: Drive strategy and execution of lifecycle marketing to onboard, retain, build loyalty to increase the lifetime value of our ecom customers and improve their customer journey.
• Data Analysis & Reporting: Establish goals and KPIs and a measurement plan to optimize campaigns. Provide performance analysis, A/B testing, ROI and insights for all channels/tactics. Work closely with finance and business intelligence group to analyze campaign effectiveness, track budget and provide accurate forecasts.
• Customer Service: Oversee our external customer service team to assure timely response and customer satisfaction.
• Thought leadership: Be a thought leader for the organization to push the envelope in the evolving direct to consumer entertainment brands and digital content consumption landscape. Have a strong pulse on relevant trends, consumer insights, and technologies that impact our industry and the way customers consume comic, editorial and video content in social media.
• Serve as subject matter expert for online commerce across the enterprise
• Plan and execute audience growth initiatives and campaigns across organic and paid channels
• Thorough analysis of the company's customer data, provide insights on social media, ecommerce/social commerce, as well as key trends and insights required to increase revenue, lifetime value and drive deeper engagement with audience.
• Assess customer needs and gaps, create competitive assessments, synthesize external inputs and the development of company specific implications with recommended approaches.
• Manage email execution from planning, setup and testing, to deployment, analysis and optimization, including list growth tactics, segmentation and cohort analysis.
• Increase product adoption, create upsell/cross-sell plans and new products, and improve customer satisfaction
• Help drive awareness for new content, entertainment and licensing announcements, upcoming product releases, and additions to product set
Requirements of the Role:
• Ability to oversee all aspects of our e-commerce operations and consumer shopping experience.
• Experience with e-commerce store construction and ongoing maintenance.
• Experience developing and executing smart merchandising strategies to increase AOV.
• Work cross-departmentally as a member of the leadership team representing our customers' interests while achieving our company goals
• Experience in digital marketing, ecommerce and social media
• Demonstrated excellence across all aspects of data-driven marketing and related operations
• Exceptional communication, presentation and relationship management skills - deep cross-functional collaboration is required.
• Proactive, energetic self-starter who thrives on getting things done in a fast-paced environment.
• Strong understanding of the role digital plays across multiple disciplines – branding, media, social, promotions, entertainment, research, product, and customer engagement
• Strong relationship management and interpersonal skills – up, down, across, and outside the organization
• Strong analytical skills with proven marketing analytics experience.
• Recent experience with a digital/mobile/e-commerce product that is offered direct to consumers
• Proven track record getting the best out of internal and external talent focused on excellence in data driven marketing
• A minimum of 3 years in ecommerce
• A minimum of 1 year audience development and management
• Toolset: Print on Demand, Braze, Amazon Marketplace, WooCommerce, Shopify, Instagram/Instagram Check out, Facebook/Facebook Shops
• Experience in setting strategic plans and executing against digital marketing of consumer facing ecom products
• Experience in front-end and back-end development for ecommerce, CRM programs, apps and API integration
• Ability to utilize data and analytics to derive actionable recommendations and increased revenue
• Experience developing social media strategies and programs across social platforms (YouTube, Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, TikTok, etc.)
• Passion for emerging trends in media and content distribution and ability to execute against user/customer needs
Required Education and Experience:
Bachelor's degree required
3-5 years prior experience in a digital marketing role
2 years of P&L management experience
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Newspapers requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment on or after November 12, 2021, be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Newspapers will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical , including pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.