Director, Newsroom Audience
Hearst NewspapersSan Antonio, TX
Full Time Job
Job Description: We're looking for an ambitious, creative leader with a combination of news and marketing skills to take on a mission-critical challenge: growing our digital subscriber base. The San Antonio Express-News seeks candidates with a track record of increasing digital subscriptions for a news organization. The ideal candidate will have journalism experience, a strong commitment to journalism values, deep fluency in audience analytics, digital marketing savvy and the ability to work effectively across editorial and business-side departments.
The San Antonio Express-News, the third largest daily newspaper in Texas, has been gaining digital subscribers at a rate of 20% to 30% per year. We now seek to turn that gradual, organic growth into dramatic growth. The director of audience will lead that effort by working closely with editors, reporters, consumer marketers and others. This is a tremendous opportunity for an up-and-coming digital journalist eager to show what they can do and make a name within a large, diversified media company with numerous opportunities for advandement.
• This position is full-time.
• This position requires management experience.
• 3 or more years in a marketing or audience role.
• Track record of audience growth success.
• Obsession with digital metrics.
• Develop and execute an audience strategy for The Express-News newsroom that would increase key traffic segments three-fold.
• Work with journalists committed to growing subscriber and prospect audiences while keeping focused on subscriber retention.
• Create off-platform strategies and maintain relationships with third-party partners.
• Work with digital producers, editors and writers on innovative packages and new ways of storytelling.
• Provide regular insights and training to journalists and leaders across the newsroom so they can contribute to audience-building goals.
Our mission: The Express-News is the third-largest daily paper in Texas, delivering quality journalism to one of the country's fastest growing cities.