Director Audience Development
Hearst NewspapersVarious, US
Full Time Job
Operational Duties - Hearst Community Newspapers (Texas, Michigan and Illinois):
• Develop and execute an audience strategy for Hearst Newspapers Community Group newsrooms that would increase key traffic segments to goals developed with Digital and Marketing groups with the goal of growing both digital subscriptions and website audiences.
• Work with Communities publishers and editors to evolve newsroom skills and daily routine toward growing overall and prospect audiences, while keeping focused on subscriber retention.
• Provide regular insights and training to journalists and leaders across the newsroom so they can contribute to audience-building goals.
• Create off-platform strategies and maintain relationships with third-party partners.
• Work with digital producers, editors and writers on innovative packages and new ways of storytelling that drive subscriber starts, engagement and retention.
• Act as liason between local editorial teams and Hearst corporate digital developers to implement best practice tools and platform capabilities.
• Work with Community Group Publishers to develop and implement digital subscription and audience growth strategies and oversee tactical implementation of said strategies.
What will it take to be successful?
• A media visionary with experience in digital content production, particularly in small to midsize local markets
• A complete and thorough understanding of how content platforms work
• Knowledge on the most recent trends in online publishing and digital readership trends
• Ability to nurture talent and identify key hires to accomplish company goals
• An ability to take and give constructive criticism
• Passion and belief in local, regional and statewide journalism and its role as a societal change agent
• An ability to balance news values with what drives digital metrics, and a recognition that without the first, the later will eventually suffer
• Familiarity and experience in using audience metrics to drive tactical as well as strategic decisions on content production and resource allocation.
• Familiarity with CSS and basic HTML
• Experience in social media as a vehicle to drive traffic, increase reader engagement and build brand
• Experience in identifying, spearheading, developing and maintaining external relationships
• Understanding of the basic media laws and ethics
Hearst Community Newspapers (Texas, Michigan and Illinois):
Hearst Community Newspaper group is a division of Hearst Newspapers and Hearst Communications. We are vital news and information sources for communities in the Midwest and Texas and work to provide information, news and marketing solutions to subscribers and local businesses in the towns we serve. We accomplish this goal by being an integral part of our local communities while tapping into the world-wide resources offered by Hearst Communications.