Hearst NewspapersHouston, TX
This was removed by the employer on 5/11/2021 6:15:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Digital Reporter jobs in Houston-TX
Search all Digital Reporter postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Digital Reporter? The Houston Chronicle is looking for an all-around digital native who can confidently handle every aspect of online journalism, from engaging readers over social media to smartly reporting news that's caught the attention of the state. You'll join a team of like-minded journalists working hard to tell the story of one of the largest, most diverse cities in the nation.
You'll be responsible for pitching and reporting everything from quick-hit local stories to enterprise projects and interactives -- with the goal of increasing audience and engagement, particularly among local readers.
• Monitor all forms of media (local TV, national news, blogs, social) for trending stories of interest to HoustonChronicle.com readers. Report, produce or aggregate interesting content that is packaged and promoted in a way that generates engagement.
• Write credible headlines that are optimized for search and social media.
• Incorporate all digital tools and platforms at your disposal to experiment with your storytelling approaches -- embedding visual or multimedia elements, building interactives from templates, crafting an Instagram Story series, or employing alternative story formats.
• Evaluate website data trends in an effort to generate ideas for both daily content and longer term content development that will grow local traffic.
• Tailor different stories for channels most likely to engage the audience.
• Build positive working relationships with newsroom staff and management, work collaboratively, and create new content opportunities.
Track the performance of your content to build on successes and adapt to reader interests and response.
• 2-3 years experience in digital media and journalism.
• Understanding of web metrics and analytics tools to measure audience behavior.
• Ability to write clever headlines that pull readers into a story.
• Ability to organize time, meet multiple daily deadlines and change gears quickly as the news cycle demands.
• Capable of researching, interviewing and writing original news articles.
• Knowledge of SEO best practices and AP Style.
• Emotional intelligence, collaborative mindset, strong interpersonal skills and grace under pressure
• Comfort with constantly evolving technology, and ability to adapt quickly and bring others along.
• Schedule flexibility (nights, weekends, holidays). This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.