Digital Production Editor
Hearst NewspapersHouston, TX
This was removed by the employer on 11/4/2022 9:14:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Digital Production Editor jobs in Houston-TX
Search all Digital Production Editor postings
Full Time Job
Digital Production Editor
Mission: This position serves as the dayside digital production lead and homepage editor for The Houston Chronicle under the direction of newsroom leadership.
We're seeking a journalist who can be a sharp editor for our most visible platform– the homepage of HoustonChronicle.com and its accompanying mobile app. The ideal candidate for this position will be well-versed in web production, audience best practices and also have some traditional reporting or writing experience. Expert news judgment and the ability to communicate across departments are essential to succeeding in this role. The ideal candidate is also a partner with the newsroom as a digital coach; digital storytelling skills, technical acumen and excellent interpersonal communication practices are vital. The person in this position will be a content strategist and thought leader whose decisions will influence the newsroom at large and touch millions of readers in one of the largest, most exciting cities in the country.
• Lead programming and strategy efforts for a highly-trafficked, daily news website, which includes the homepage, a mobile app and push alerts.
• Collaborate with editors, reporters and digital project managers on producing engaging packages and new ways of storytelling on our platforms. Work with staffers who may need help with the CMS, and troubleshoot production issues.
• Keep an eye on real-time analytics to assess website performance, and funnel insights into strategy and programming decisions. Identify and pitch stories that are resonating with our readers.
• Have a pulse on breaking news, as well as what the Internet is talking about right now. Understands audience behavior and SEO best practices, and can quickly program a homepage to optimize for both while featuring the biggest stories of the day.
What we're looking for:
• Overall: We want someone who is obsessed with analytics and reader experience, who understands the industry and how platforms are changing, and who is prepared to work hard in a new media leadership role that will constantly change.
• 3-5 years' experience in digital media and journalism. Some past experience with web production and Search optimization required.
• Understands web metrics and analytics tools to measure reader behavior.
• Great headline writer that can take into account SEO and social media.
• Organized, technical problem solver and quick decision maker.
• Some weekend and holiday work may be required
• Knowledge of SEO best practices and AP Style.
• Enjoys working in teams and has excellent interpersonal skills.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Newspapers requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Newspapers will consider requests for reasonable accommodations on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.