Deputy Texas Editor
Hearst NewspapersAustin, TX
This was removed by the employer on 7/3/2023 6:15:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have many other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Deputy Texas Editor jobs in Austin-TX
Search all Deputy Texas Editor postings
Full Time Job
DEPUTY TEXAS EDITOR
Whether it's the Capitol in Austin or the Capitol in Washington, the Houston Chronicle Texas Politics Team is our coverage spearpoint on everything from government spending to immigration policy to educational policy and political and economic reform. If you want to deploy a variety of storytelling approaches to grow the reach of trusted political coverage at a time when the public desperately needs it, this is a prime opportunity to do so at Texas' leading news brand.
The Houston Chronicle – named the state's best news organization by the Texas Managing Editors five years running – is seeking a versatile Assistant Texas Editor who can oversee a team of six journalists covering the Capitol in Austin and other statewide issues. Our Texas Politics Team is based in Austin and also includes a reporter based in Washington, D.C.
What you'll do:
• Work with the Politics Editor to shape and lead our coverage of Texas politics and policy with an eagerness to jump on breaking news and the ability to shape enterprise and investigative work
• You will craft and edit coverage through a wide range of story forms (quick-hits, explainers, live blogs, explainers, long-form storytelling)
• Conceive of innovative ways to serve audiences, and serve as project manager for our major digital efforts, namely the Texas voter's guides for both the Chronicle and Express-News on major elections, and the bill trackers for both papers during legislative session
• Coordinate with two newsrooms as our work is featured daily in both the Chronicle and the San Antonio Express-News
• Develop beat reporting that is audience-centered and cultivates sourcing, obtains public records and delivers scoops. Develop the talents of staffers, offering constructive criticism of their work and doing evaluations of reporters and editors
What will it take to be successful?
The politics of the nation's biggest red state are quick and forceful, and they demand editors who are equally speedy and decisive in coverage decisions.
• Have at least 10 years of experience as a senior reporter and/or editor, preferably covering Texas state government, including strong understanding of open records laws
• Be detail-oriented with a proven ability to effectively juggle multiple tasks in a deadline-driven environment
• Deeply understand journalism ethics and legal standards, and an openness to learn and adapt as language changes
• Ability to translate complicated subjects into clear, conversational copy
• Strong communication skills and a collaborative approach to working with colleagues in two newsrooms
• Strong understanding of how to use social media and search trends to shape reporting targets
• Proven track-record of crafting digital-first content plans
About the Houston Chronicle:
The Houston Chronicle serves Houston's 2.3 million residents - as well as all of Texas - with content and marketing solutions across two of Houston's largest websites, HoustonChronicle.com and Chron.com, along with our newspaper and magazine brands. The content and innovative business solutions we provide invite readers to join conversations about communities we've been helping prosper for more than 120 years.
About Hearst Newspapers:
With 2,500 employees across the nation, HNP encompasses a network of 24 daily and 52 weekly publications, including the San Francisco Chronicle, Houston Chronicle, San Antonio Express-News and Albany Times Union, several top digital-only news and lifestyle sites, marketing services businesses, and entertainment businesses such as King Features Syndicate.
At HNP, we are investing in new and innovative ways to tell stories – growing newsrooms, diversifying tools, evolving platforms – to support the millions of people who trust us each month to help them make decisions, take action and be inspired.
Be a part of something bigger – your headline awaits.