Hearst NewspapersLaredo, TX
Full Time Job
LMT is a daily newspaper owned by the Hearst Corporation serving the Laredo, Texas area which has a population of more than 250,000. An ideal candidate would have strong leadership qualities and be able to assist the staff in numerous ways including editing stories and the newspaper, producing content for special sections, helping with the upkeep of the website and social media pages, and writing stories for print and web. The individual would also take the lead to produce the Sunday newspaper each week.
Interested applicants should have a bachelor's degree in journalism or a relevant field. Ideal candidates should be passionate about journalism, have excellent writing ability and be very strong editors. They should also be able to handle strict deadlines and have a firm grasp of AP style.
Laredo is a warm environment which features palm trees and winter months with highs of 70 degrees. If this position interests you, email a cover letter, resume and samples of your published stories to LMT Managing Editor Zach Davis and use ''Deputy Editor Opening'' as the email subject.
No phone calls please. LMT is an equal opportunity employer. Job offers are contingent on passing a drug test.
• Bring leadership to the editorial department and fill in as necessary for the managing editor.
• Have a strong grasp of AP style.
• Take the lead to help produce the Sunday newspaper each week.
• Build pages for the newspaper by providing content to designers and fitting afterwards as needed.
• Provide story edits and the final round of overall copy edits before the paper sends to printers.
• Help with the upkeep of the website and social media.
• Assist with putting together special sections.
• Fill any gaps in schedule as a writer covering any topics of interest to the community.
• Help with the upkeep of local community calendars and submitted letters.