Hearst NewspapersSan Antonio, TX
Full Time Job
The San Antonio Express-News has an immediate opening for an ambitious, versatile journalist to work in a fast-paced newsroom on the biggest stories in Texas. The graphics and data reporter will join a new data viz desk that focuses on quick-turn graphics-focused stories, interactive projects and data-driven deep dives.
The successful candidate will hustle and compete on the biggest stories in Texas, while seeking to engage readers online through reporting, data analysis, static graphics and interactive elements.
We're seeking a self-starter with high standards who can collaborate well, has excellent communication skills, is comfortable providing and taking feedback. We want a teammate who aspires to be a key player in an exciting, modern news operation that values a smart, local readership and aims to take risks in how we report and present journalism online.
What the data reporter will do:
• Report and produce data- and graphics-driven content for ExpressNews.com.
• Conceive ideas and work with editors and developers to enhance our storytelling.
• Contribute to high-impact digital projects produced across newsroom teams.
• Create assets to help promote and distribute the team's work.
What it will take to be successful:
• Experience in a modern newsroom or a related work environment.
• Strong news judgment, creativity and meticulousness.
• Ability to report stories and write and build quickly while keeping the strictest commitment to fairness and accuracy.
• Knowledge of multimedia storytelling, social media engagement and other strategies to broaden readership.
• Ability to collaborate with all newsroom teams and work in a fast-changing news environment. Expertise or experience crunching sports stats is a plus.
• Plus: Web development or data visualization experience.
• This position is full-time.
• It will likely include some weekend and holiday work.
• While the role accommodates some remote work, especially during the pandemic, the position will be based in our San Antonio or Austin newsroom. Out-of-state candidates should be prepared to move to Texas when circumstances permit.