Hearst NewspapersHouston, TX
This was removed by the employer on 5/3/2021 11:14:00 AM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Data Editor jobs in Houston-TX
Search all Data Editor postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire a Data Editor? Hearst Newspapers has an opening for an ambitious, resourceful and discerning data visualization editor to join the digital team of the Houston Chronicle and the San Antonio Express-News. The data visualization editor will supervise a team that will focus on providing readers unique, important and enterprising data-driven stories and projects on issues, people and events affecting Texas, with particular focus on Houston and San Antonio, the fourth and seventh largest cities by population in the U.S.
We are looking for a strong, positive communicator who loves to help journalists come up with ideas, work with them at every step of the reporting and writing process, make creative decisions about how stories should be presented, and partner with producers, designers and others to make stories captivate and resonate online.
A successful candidate will embrace a collaborative environment and work hard to develop talent in the newsrooms. The editor should have the drive to deliver best-in-class coverage of a competitive story, often on tight deadlines, as well as the curiosity to ask what worthy stories remain untold. Strict devotion to accuracy, fairness and inclusiveness in coverage is a must.
The editor will work on a close-knit team serving two markets that builds projects from the ground up, in service to a rapidly growing local audience of readers who respect facts and appreciate high-quality local news and analysis. The team will produce quick-turn graphics-focused stories, interactive projects and data-driven deep dives, and collaborate with a separate data team dedicated to investigative and enterprise data reporting. The editor will have a hand in selecting some of their team members and will help set the strategy for the larger group's overall direction.
What the data editor will do:
• Supervise, edit and professionally develop a team of reporters and developers, with a focus on providing best-in-class data and graphics stories in two major coverage areas.
• Work collaboratively with journalists across two newsrooms, and especially designers, developers and graphic artists, while pitching ideas for interactive presentations.
• Coordinate short- and long-term planning of data projects, managing timelines and workflows.
• Ensure that coverage reflects the diversity of experiences and interests in the Houston and San Antonio metros.
What it will take to be successful:
• At least four years' experience at a digital news organization or a legacy print publication with a strong digital presence.
• Strong news judgment, creativity and meticulousness.
• Understanding of modern data collection techniques.
• Experience and interest in data analysis.
• Ability to edit stories make them more clear and compelling.
• Knowledge of multimedia storytelling, social media engagement and other strategies to broaden readership.
• Ability to collaborate with newsroom teams in two separate markets and work in a fast-changing news environment.
• This position is full time.
• Weekend, evening and holiday work may at times be required.
• While the role accommodates some remote work, especially during the pandemic, the position will be based in our Houston or Austin newsroom. Out-of-state candidates should be prepared to move to Texas when circumstances permit.
We offer a competitive and comprehensive benefits & compensation package, and we are an equal opportunity employer. This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.