Associate Audience Editor
Hearst NewspapersSan Francisco, CA
Full Time Job
Associate Audience Editor
We're looking for an ambitious, versatile journalist with expert audience and digital storytelling skills to join the San Francisco Chronicle. This person will work at the center of our fast-paced newsroom, collaborating and communicating with every team. They will help to shape our audience growth initiatives, with a particular focus on search platforms, emerging platforms, and social media. They will be charged with finding innovative new ways to reach and engage new readers across platforms. The successful candidate will become a thought leader and audience crusader at the San Francisco Chronicle and their work will touch hundreds of thousands of readers every day.
• This position is full-time.
• It will likely be a Monday-to-Friday schedule.
• Weekend, evening and holiday work will be required as news warrants.
• Manage SEO initiatives, including: training on best practices; auditing articles for SEO including headlines, URLs, internal linking, etc.; Google Trends research; brainstorming search-first article topics.
• Coordinate SEO content strategy to prepare for tentpole events, anniversaries, and other notable dates.
• Create posts for Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, and other social media channels for the Chronicle brand.
• Plan and execute off-platform audience efforts.
• Manage YouTube, TikTok, and other multimedia platforms.
Who we're looking for:
• At least 1-2 years' newsroom experience
• Bachelor's or master's degree, journalism focus preferred
• Exceptional social media skills
• Experience with analytics tools such as Google Analytics, ChartBeat, etc.
• Experience and passion for SEO strategy
• Understanding of media ethics
• Command of digital metrics
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Newspapers requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment on or after November 12, 2021, be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law. Hearst Newspapers will consider requests for reasonable accommodations due to medical, including pregnancy or a pregnancy-related condition, and/or religious reasons on an individual basis in accordance with applicable legal requirements.
About The San Francisco Chronicle and SFChronicle.com:
The San Francisco Chronicle is world-class journalism. With name-brand voices and a keen editorial eye, The Chronicle is an authority that still surprises. The Chronicle, one of the largest news organizations in the West, has been named California's best large newsroom for four of the past five years.
SFChronicle.com delivers the Bay Area's best journalism. It is the Bay Area's authoritative online news source, focused on San Francisco but inclusive of all California and Western news that reflects the unique Bay Area experience. The staff won ONA Online Journalism Awards for General Excellence in 2020 and for Breaking News coverage in 2019 and 2020.
Join our team of world-class journalists.!