Seo Manager, Enthusiast
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Hearst Magazines is looking for a creative and talented SEO manager to lead search strategy for our Enthusiast brands - Runner's World, Bicycling, BestProducts.com, and Popular Mechanics. Combined, these sites generate more than 25 million users each month who are as obsessed with our brands as we are. From home chefs to marathon runners, tech aficionados to cycling fanatics, you'll be able to help shape content creation that speaks to our niche audiences each and every day.
At Hearst, Search plays an important role and produces a healthy variety of traffic. We're seeking a confident and data-driven SEO to be the right-hand to our SEO Director. Working directly with our digital editors, you'll get a first look at new technology as it launches, be front-and-center for race coverage, access to olympic-level athletes (in content and on staff), life-changing health news, and at times, you'll even get to help be part of the product testing process.
While this is mainly an SEO role, we are also looking for someone to consider the SEO impact in other traffic sources. We make decisions based on data at all levels, so this role will include collaborating with other teams to provide insights into content strategy across paid search, social media, membership exclusive content, features, and distribution.
What you'll do
• Create a unique SEO content strategy for each site that seamlessly mixes into their editorial calendar and voice. You'll be in charge of optimization around events, product launches, news, service, features, seasonal stories, and evergreen content.
• Optimize all content and work hand-in-hand with our editors to ensure the user experience meets the search need. You'll train our editors to be confident in optimization.
• Work directly in our CMS updating meta, optimizing critical fields, grouping content, internal linking, reworking layouts, and monitoring redirects.
• Use Google Analytics to create reporting for stakeholders on wins, losses, and opportunities. If we should be doing something differently, it's up to you to identify necessary changes and execute.
• Work hand-in-hand with our editors and site leads on weekly and monthly assignments. You'll be in charge of visualizing the search opportunity and the last person to ensure content hits all checkboxes before going live.
• Immerse yourself in the search industry. Know when new SERP features are introduced, when GSC is changed, when Danny or John tweet, when Barry unearths an index issue, when the algo forecast is stormy, when we need to update schema. The list goes on.
• Protect search rankings of our exclusive and paymetered content. We're growing membership and testing more and more paywalled content. You'll be in charge of monitoring the traffic, perfecting the schema, and expanding the strategy.
• Facilitate technical SEO advancements in the CMS based on testing, experience, and new features available.
• Test the format and layout of pages to enhance user experience.
• Audit all sites with crawl tools, such as Screaming Frog, and personally fix or coordinate with the Product Team to correct any issues found.
Who you are
• You have 2-4 years of hands-on SEO experience
• You have a minimum of 2 years of recommending/creating Search-specific content
• You have excellent communication skills, verbal and written
• You have strong analytical skills
• You must be able to collaborate and foster positive relationships with colleagues
• You are extremely detail-oriented and thrives in a fast-paced environment
• You have experience with Google Webmaster Tools
• You have experience with Keyword Research Tools
• You have experience working with CMS
• You are proficient in Excel
• You are proficient in Google Analytics
• You have experience with YouTube and video optimization
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels - print, digital, video and social – with sophisticated content creation, distribution and data capabilities. We create, package and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.