Senior Recipe Developer
Hearst MagazinesBirmingham, AL
Full Time Job
Senior Recipe Developer, Thepioneerwoman.Com
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O, The Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels-print, digital, video and social-with sophisticated content creation, distribution and data capabilities. We create, package, and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.
ThePioneerWoman.com is looking for a multitasking test-kitchen ace who can develop and test recipes, food-style for shoots, and work in lockstep with a fast-paced, high-output video team. This will be one of the first two positions for the site's new Birmingham-based test kitchen, and we're looking for a positive, energetic team player who can set the tone for the department as it grows.
Our senior recipe developer will oversee the culinary side of our recipe videos from start to finish: pitching ideas, developing foolproof recipes, sourcing groceries, planning shoots, styling food for both video and still photography, and uploading recipes to the CMS-with a keen eye for accuracy.
Our senior recipe developer should come to the job with ample test kitchen experience and ideally some experience producing content for videos. She or he should also have a strong understanding of The Pioneer Woman reader and should be able to generate recipes that will keep fans coming back for more. Above all, we're looking for a team player who's up for anything and everything: washing dishes, making last-minute shopping trips, or zipping off (post-COVID) to Oklahoma for a last-minute photo shoot.
NOTE: For consideration, resumes must be received in .pdf format with salary requirements and a link to a portfolio of work. Please note that applicants will be asked to complete a comprehensive edit test.
What you'll do:
• Develop fun, seasonal recipes for ThePioneerWoman.com
• Pitch, plan, and help produce recipe videos for ThePioneerWoman.com site and social channels
• Act as food stylist and prop stylist on video shoots
• Manage all grocery shopping, keeping costs within budget
• Maintain test-kitchen pantry and oversee stocking of staples and other supplies
• Assist with recipe editing and recipe explainers for the site, when necessary
• Monitor (and respond to) recipe comments
• Build recipes in CMS
• Update recipes on site with in-depth explainers
• Write recipes that adhere to the brand's style, with an eye for accuracy and tone
Who you are:
• Have a culinary degree and/or substantial professional kitchen experience
• Have at least seven years of professional experience with developing and testing recipes for a consumer publication
• Experienced in styling food and propping for video and/or still shoots
• Experience with editing recipes
• Deeply knowledgeable about ingredients, cooking techniques, and social-media food trends