Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Senior Editor, Bestproducts.Com
The Hearst Magazines Enthusiast Group is looking for a versatile, data-motivated, experienced editor to join our commerce team and expand BestProducts' buying guides through both your own writing and our contributing network's content. This role will work closely with our in-house and remote editors across the group, analysts in our marketing department, our SEO and commerce teams, and contributors. BestProducts specializes in several key categories, including technology and electronics, outdoor and fitness gear, home decor and appliances, parenting and baby, lawn and garden, beauty and lifestyle, and gifting. In other words, a passion for all products is an absolute must! You'll have the opportunity to make recommendations to over 6 million users per month.
The ideal candidate will have at least five years of writing experience in product reviews or investigative journalism. He or she should be skilled at sourcing, testing, and recommending products in a highly informative yet compelling manner. This person will not only write expertly researched and tested content but will spearhead our growing contributor network. Our audience expects our editors to guide them in the purchase process, which is also a key element of equal importance in our contributing content. Our job is to give our readers confidence while they research, purchase, and then use each product.
This person will be part of the Enthusiast Group in New York, NY, report to the Deputy Editor, and will have the occasional opportunity to write for our other brands: Runner's World, Bicycling, and Popular Mechanics.
Please note: for consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of clips.
What You'll Do:
• Write, edit, and update buying guides that respond to a season, a trend, a project, and other brand goals.
• Create shopping guides that are digestible, shoppable, and highly authoritative. You'll evaluate the product landscape, consult in-house experts, analyze reports, scrutinize reviews, and ultimately provide our audiences with purchasing advice.
• Collect and manage our contributor network of professionals and guide them to write buying guides with the utmost expertise. You'll edit their work.
• Support search and commerce goals with a flexible mindset and the ability to change course quickly.
• Collaborate with our staff experts for product suggestions, brand recommendations, insights, and guidance. We rely on each other's authority.
• Enhance the user experience through creative layout, descriptive copy, strategizing with the photo department, and choosing retailers appropriately.
• Identify reliable sources, retailers, specialists, and brands. You will be directly influencing what our readers purchase.
• Use Google Analytics and our data management platform to improve the user experience and optimize for affiliate revenue.
Who You Are:
• You have a minimum of 5 years writing experience for a digital publisher.
• You have a minimum of 2 year creating commerce content.
• You have expertise or a passion for our key categories.
• You have a desire to manage freelance contributors.
• You have exceptional organizational skills.
• You have experience editing other writers' work.
• You have a flexible mindset. We pivot and reprioritize quickly.
• You have more than a basic understanding of SEO and commerce best practices.
• You are comfortable working on sale days which can coincide with holidays or weekends.
• You are a strong copywriter and editor, capable of writing engaging, lively headlines and blurbs, all the while keeping the brand voices in mind.
• You have excellent communication skills, verbal and written.
• You must be able to collaborate and foster positive relationships with colleagues.
• You must have experience working in a CMS.