Senior Editor, Home and Design, Hearstmade
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and Oprah Daily. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels-print, digital, video, and social-with sophisticated content creation, distribution, and data capabilities. We create, package, and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.
HearstMade is the in-house branded content studio for all of Hearst Magazines. Through a combination of data-driven insight and editorial instinct, we create stories that not only get attention but drive action. We are looking for a well-rounded Senior Editor, Home and Design to join our team of editors, designers, photo and video producers and talent bookers in a highly collaborative and fast-paced environment.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
The Senior Editor, Home and Design will work on all home and design branded content programs from pre-sale brainstorms through post-sale execution, conceptualizing, packaging, writing or editing custom co-branded content, and collaborating closely with our video and photo teams. Our home and design content covers a wide breadth of topics including, but not limited to, high-end design advice, market-driven shopping guides, luxury home/design tours, designer profiles, DIY content, cleaning how to's, and home-maintenance education.
The editor will work closely with the site directors and social editors across all relevant Hearst titles-including but not limited to ELLE Décor, House Beautiful, Good Housekeeping, Town & Country, Veranda, Country Living, and Popular Mechanics-to ensure content feels authentic, engaging, and in-line with each title's editorial voice. This content must be as exciting and well-executed as pure edit. A typical mix of content in the works might include a video showcasing a high-design kitchen renovation, a roundup of editor's picks from a big-box store, an in-depth Q&A of gardening tips, and an instructional article on HVAC know-how.
What You'll Do
• Assist the marketing team in conceiving of and refining sharp, compelling ideas for branded content programs; help write up ideas in response to RFPs on swift, daily deadlines.
• Be the creative owner of content campaigns from ideation to execution.
• Keep multiple, concurrent campaigns on deadline.
• Assign, edit, and build (in our in-house CMS) all content within your designated category.
• Roll up your sleeves through every step of the content-production process, from line editing to working through client product priorities to pulling stock imagery.
• Think creatively and strategically to position a far-reaching and sometimes non-endemic range of client brands organically on our sites.
• Collaborate heavily with video, photo, and design departments to ensure each piece of content is cohesive, high-touch, and well-packaged.
• Partner with internal teams (including editorial, marketing, and project management) to move complex, custom-content projects forward.
• Advise on all areas of home and design expertise: styling, trends, designers, market, and more.
• Shape processes and best practices for branded home and design content.
• Create and deliver content that best serves a client's campaign performance goals while remaining in-line with editorial best practices.
• Assist video producers in writing video scripts and graphics to ensure a cohesive voice.
Who You Are
• You have at least 5-7 years of professional editorial experience. Previous branded content experience is a huge plus.
• You are highly adept at producing smart, shareable, digital-friendly content.
• You are a bonafide expert on the home and design world, from buzzy brands in the luxury space to mass trends, from DIY intel to topical design conversations.
• You have great relationships with home and design writers and creatives across all or most applicable categories.
• You have exceptional editing, story packaging, and brainstorming skills-you should be an ideas machine and love to think big and strategically.
• You have experience editing feature content, profiles, as-told-to's, how-to, service stories, and longer-form content.
• You have excellent communication and project management skills and are a stellar negotiator.
• You are a natural diplomat and have the ability to build bridges and work with teams with uniquely different objectives.
• You are a quick thinker, flexible, and able to pivot as needed.
• You are energized by a mix of project types, from simple one-off articles to months-long production-heavy partnerships-and can gracefully juggle them all.
• You are a self-motivated, hands-on content creator who can work independently and is eager to follow through when you see a need or growth opportunity.
• You are patient and solutions-focused, with a positive, can-do attitude!
• Pre- and post-sale client-partner campaigns and/or marketing work: responding to RFPs, pitching ideas, assigning stories, shepherding art and creative development, assisting with production, working with project managers, etc
• Some production background: collaborating with creative leads on photo and video shoots
• Building content in a publishing CMS.
• Some familiarity with ecomm best practices and trends
• Some knowledge of social products, trends, and best practices across popular platforms (primarily Instagram and TikTok)