Senior Astrology Editor, Cosmopolitan
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Cosmopolitan, the biggest young women's media brand in the world, is looking for a senior astrology editor to oversee our robust astrology content and take it to the next level.
Our ideal editor is someone who lives and dies by their horoscope, is the go-to expert within their friend group to know precisely why Mercury in Retrograde sucks, has a deep affinity for smudging, and is constantly curious about all things zodiac and New Age.
The astrology editor will work across all of Cosmo's platforms-print, digital, video, and social-and wherever our astrology aspirations take us, be it live events, products, partnerships, or programming. Day-to-day, this role will center on planning, top-editing, and writing our print astrology section as well as our digital astrology beat. This position will report to the deputy editor of Cosmopolitan. NOTE: For consideration, resumes must be received in .pdf format with salary requirements, a cover letter, and a link to a portfolio of work.
• Write and edit thoughtful, engaging, sharp, and creative astrology content including horoscopes, zodiac sign and season explainers, compability guides and other how-tos, personal essays, trend pieces, and more
• Oversee and manage a section of the magazine (i.e., organizing brainstorms, crafting lineups, meeting copy deadlines, etc.)
• Assess daily astrological happenings, as well as seasonal changes, and brainstorm ideas for related explainers, hot takes, guides, and more
• Assign stories to, and maintain relationships with, a network of astrologers and freelance writers, and manage our astrology advisory council, the Cosmo(s) Council
• Maintain working knowledge of astrology and the cultural conversation surrounding it (including popular apps and sources)
• Execute engaging stories with high SEO potential
• Help lead the team in related brand projects (including books, video, events, and tech)
• At least 5 years of professional editorial experience
• Experience managing a team
• Strong writing, reporting, and editing skills
• Excellent news judgment
• Sense of humor and voice
• An appreciation for (or, um, obsession with?) all things astrology and eagerness to learn even more
• A strong freelancer network to draw from
• Strong grasp of social media and search optimization
• Well-versed in using various analytics tools (Google Analytics, Google Data Studio etc.), and ability to analyze data and make editorial decisions based on it