Outdoors Editor, Popular Mechanics
Hearst MagazinesCenter Valley, PA
Full Time Job
Popular Mechanics - part of Hearst's Enthusiast Group -seeks an energetic, creative, detail-driven editor obsessed with the outdoors and the gear, skills, and knowledge that fuel everyday adventures as well as epics. Working within our Strategic Content group, the outdoors editor mines the news, cultural memes and trends, our own data and analytics, and relevant social feeds for anything having to do with getting outside, then originates, plans, creates, edits, and helps distribute the content across all channels of the brand.
The ideal candidate relishes the opportunity to create strategically driven content - stories with a discrete goal such as traffic generation, affiliate revenue, audience development and engagement. Must be able to create content on a daily basis, as well as simultaneously working on longer-term projects.
The role is based in the Enthusiast Group headquarters in the Lehigh Valley, Pennsylvania.
• Under direction of the Director of Content Operations and the Deputy Editor, originate, plan, and publish outdoors content that meets performance metrics
• Produce stories daily while simultaneously creating longer works for our site, magazine, social feeds and other channels
• Hit every deadline. Crush every metric.
• Up to 3 years of experience in editing and writing outdoors content
• Budget- and metric-driven personality
• Must be able to manage feedback from multiple parties and deal with fast-changing priorities
• Ability to thrive under multiple projects while meeting tight deadlines
• Must be able to work flexible hours as needed
Note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in .pdf format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work