News Editor, Popular Mechanics
Hearst MagazinesCenter Valley, PA
Full Time Job
The News Editor will work with our digital team to mine the news, cultural memes and trends, our own data and analytics, and relevant social feeds to originate, plan, create, edit, and distribute strategically driven content-stories that bring in new readers, drive membership and engagement, or bring in affiliate revenue-on a daily basis.
NOTE: For us to consider you, please submit your resume in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to your portfolio.
What you'll do
• Under the direction of Popular Mechanics's Deputy Editor, originate, plan, and publish content that dazzles, including major topic areas like space, science, math, cars, tech
• Produce stories daily while simultaneously creating longer works for our site, membership program, magazine, and social feeds
• Work on longer-lead projects for the website, including how-to projects, search driven stories, and articles focused to drive Popular Mechanics membership.
• Hit every deadline. Crush every metric
Who you are
• You have at least 3-5 years of experience in editing, writing, or content creation and distribution. Bonus points if you have a background in science, tech, math, machines, games, the outdoors, DIY, repair, maker culture, or any other place that obsessive curiosity leads
• Someone who can write fast, fun, clean, and SEO-centric copy
• You have familiarity with social media to track news and spot stories to write about
• Able to manage feedback from multiple parties and deal with fast-changing priorities
• Ability to manage multiple projects while meeting tight deadlines
• You have a bachelor's degree or equivalent experience
• Must be able to work flexible hours as needed
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels - print, digital, video and social – with sophisticated content creation, distribution and data capabilities. We create, package and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.
About Popular Mechanics
Popular Mechanics is part of Hearst's Enthusiast Group, which also includes Runner's World, and Bicycling magazines. It inspires, instructs, and influences our readers' passions. Popular Mechanics is produced by a team of editors who are passionate about science, space, math, cars, tech, and just about anything that makes the world more interesting. We love love sharing the latest innovations and tech, relevant how-to information from experts, and biggest discoveries in our universe across our website, magazine, social channels, and membership program.