Manager, Software Engineering
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Hearst Magazines Digital Media reaches more than 100 million people around the world every month on digital platforms connected to loved and trusted brands like Cosmopolitan, Delish, Esquire, Elle, Runner's World, and 29 television stations.
We are looking for a Manager of Software Engineering to join a diverse, supportive community of engineers who are creating a modern content technology stack - built from the ground up - to give our users, editors, and advertisers tools that enable them to tell amazing stories. We're using modern web technologies to do this, like Python, GraphQL, React, and Webpack. We're building an open, service-oriented platform driven by APIs, and believe in crafting simple, elegant solutions to complex technological and product problems. Our platform is built on AWS and Kubernetes with deployments automated through a Slack bot.
Our ideal candidate is a passionate software engineering manager who is eager to learn and contribute to team success. The teams you'll be working with are small and autonomous and are responsible for the creation and distribution of content and videos from our brands to partners such as Amazon, YouTube, Apple News, Google News, Yahoo, and MSN. You'll work with several different technologies - Python, Django, Postgres, and Redis to name a few. Our team works in an agile environment and we value collaboration and respect, learning new skills, and a high quality of work.
What you will do
• Be part of a development team that innovates and creates modern tools and features that will be used across the entire Hearst content platform
• Participate in key software design, working directly with other engineers, the Product team, DevOps, and the Editorial team
Who you are
• You have 5 years management experience
• You have 7 years of software engineering experience
• You have 4 years of Python, Node.js and/or PHP experience
• You are comfortable taking the initiative to constantly improve individually and as a part of a team
• You have experience building software for consumer-facing web applications, preferably large-scale and content-focused
• You have shown that you can take a feature or service to full completion, from working with our back-end tech through front-end implementation
• You are excited to mentor and collaborate with less experienced engineers
• You have a strong competency in software development languages / framework and use that knowledge to identify and implement effective solutions during software development to improve quality and standards.
• You are able to define technical directions, code standards, responsible for reviewing code and ensuring the quality of code.
• You have written technical documentation (admin guides), points of views, small presentations, knowledge transfer documentation, contributes to determining internal processes.
• You are eager and able to learn new technologies and frameworks.
• You regularly work with Product Owners to fully document code design to satisfy business requirements.
• You provide innovative solutions to push the boundaries of technical constraints.
• You promote a collaborative environment between technology and other disciplines.
• You have led technical teams on multiple medium to large sized projects and have been responsible for day to day work assignments within multiple projects. Assist in resource allocations/projections.
• You have experiencing working with Talent Attraction teams to select and interview candidates for your team
• You have a solid understanding of microservices architecture
• You have experience building RESTful APIs
• You have PostgreSQL experience (or similar relational database) and are familiar with database performance tuning and caching strategies
• You may have experience with large-scale/high-traffic systems and job queuing
• You are familiar with GraphQL API integration
• Working in an Agile development team (Scrum preferred)
• You have worked in environments with Linux, Docker, Amazon AWS
• A degree in Computer Science or a related field is preferred or equivalent work experience