Manager, HR Business Partner
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Manager, HR Business Partner
The impact you will have
With more than 360 businesses, Hearst is one of today's largest media, information and services companies. And we continue to innovate in ways that transform our company, industry and lives.
As an HR Business Partner for Hearst Magazines this role is focused on partnering with and coaching leadership and employees for growth and success, business partnership and talent strategy design and execution, with clear and focused communication across all levels of employee population. Performs a broad spectrum of Human Resources functions such as, employee relations, learning and development, employee engagement, talent assessment and workforce planning, employment-related compliance, new hire on boarding, and general HR administration. With 27 brands including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Men's Health and Car and Driver, you will work alongside some of the best talent in the media world.
Who you are
Someone who partners with assigned groups to create and foster a culture that recognizes great talent, enables individuals to reach their potential, and ensures all employees are treated with respect and fairness. Someone who can read situations quickly, identify themes or issues. Someone who is passionate about a people-centric approach to HR and not HR for the sake of following policy. Someone who wants to rethink, reshape and reinvent how traditional HR is done in order to apply new thinking in a changing, creative environment. Someone who has great instincts and judgment with the ability to connect human concerns/needs with business. You also have a strong process orientation, are analytical and can project manage your work. But, all with a human approach to problem solving.
What you'll do
• Develop strong, effective, working relationships across assigned magazine groups to lead and support managers and employees in the areas of retention, morale, productivity, policy interpretation and implementation, conflict resolution, and cultural integration.
• Partner with management, providing HR guidance when appropriate, while providing day-to-day performance management guidance (e.g., coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions).
• Assist managers and employees in understanding and applying HR, and other, tools/resources/processes in order to maximize employee performance, achieve organizational effectiveness, and improve employee engagement.
• Analyze and present the employee engagement survey results to senior management and provide quarterly check-in/follow-up.
• Conduct new hire on boarding. Develop and drive a consistent on boarding experience for every new hire regardless of work location. Also conduct consistent off-boarding experience.
• Provide guidance and input on business unit restructures, workforce planning and succession planning.
• Manage and resolve complex employee relations issues. Conducts effective, thorough and objective investigations.
• Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Partner with the legal department as needed/required.
• Administer employment policies and procedures in compliance with corporate policies and applicable state and federal laws.
• Analyzes trends and metrics in partnership with the HR/Talent team, and business, to develop solutions, programs and policies.
• Own and execute on project deliverables, meet milestones and drive projects to completion.
• Bachelor's Degree or equivalent work- related experience.
• You have 5 - 7 years generalist experience in the media industry including, but not limited to, HR business partner functions, Employee Engagement, Training & Development, benefits, HR metrics and reporting.
• You're experienced in medium-sized (350 employees) media organization(s); regional employee distribution experience a plus. Digital media experience preferred. Knowledge of media sales and marketing also preferred.
• You have a HR Professional Certification or demonstrated HR related professional work experience.
• You are proficient in MS Office Programs: Excel, Word, Outlook, PowerPoint.
• You're experienced in HRIS system experience, preferably with Oracle and Taleo
• You're knowledgeable of current employment law, worker's compensation, ADA, EEOC, FMLA, and state and local laws.
• You have professional communications skills (oral and written).
• You multi-task and manage multiple projects simultaneously; strong problem-solving and conflict resolution skills; effective communication skills; strong facilitation and influencing skills; and the ability to work effectively on teams and autonomously.
• You prioritize, manage time effectively and keep issues confidential is critical to this position. You exude strong interpersonal skills.
• You're highly organized and able to prioritize and meet deadlines.
• You display leadership skills and possess a drive for efficiency and change.
• You can work both independently and as a team player.
• You easily adapt to a changing environment.
We do great work, with great people. Want in? Apply today.
Hearst.com/Careers #Better Together