Manager Of Editorial Analytics
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Hearst Magazines is looking for a media-obsessed, analytics junkie with a passion for helping turn data into action plans. The Manager, Editorial Insights, will provide valuable key learnings and facilitate all aspects of audience growth and data tracking to support Hearst's digital content teams - from reporting about what happened today on our dotcoms and social/partner platforms to leading research-focused projects that help inform and direct tomorrow's biggest editorial ambitions.
This position works across our growing and diverse portfolio of 25 digital titles, which includes Cosmopolitan, Harper's Bazaar, Delish, Esquire, Men's Health, Oprah Mag and many other major consumer-focused brands, and will partner regularly with our audience, product, content strategy and design teams. In this role, you should be ready (and eager!) to roll up your sleeves and dig into data to help our content creators answer questions such as:
• How can we track growth and measure impact for new off-platform social and news experiences, such as IGTV and Apple News?
• Who are our most loyal readers? And where do they go most? Does it vary by site section, by content type, by platform?
• What are our most successful editorial franchises? And, more importantly, how do we define ''success''?
• What videos get the most engaged watch time - and why?
• Build and deliver regular pacing and daily/weekly/monthly recaps that track against key editorial goals, such as growing our total audience footprint, knowing who our readers are, and understanding exactly what they click, watch, and buy
• Work with editorial teams to ensure data and insights are clear, actionable, and help support individualized content strategies
• Stay on top of the daily content and overall performance of our editorial portfolio, giving consistent feedback to the teams and monitoring for gains and losses
• Work with editors to develop, test, and track innovative editorial and social packaging and share learnings to other teams across the org
• Be the internal expert and a proactive mentor teaching editorial teams how to make better data-driven decisions and use available tools/reports
• Research and share broader audience insights to key stakeholders at the Director, VP and Executive levels for presentations, sales queries, and more
• Work closely with cross-functional teams, including audience development managers, marketers, product and data analysts, SEO and social strategists, and others, to vet new partnerships and launch new projects
• At least four years working in data analytics and/or audience or editorial research at a consumer-facing company, preferably a media-related business
• Deep knowledge of Google Analytics and other editorial audience-tracking resources, such as Crowdtangle, Facebook Insights, etc
• An expert in analyzing data, interpreting results, and building digestible reports in Excel and other BI tools
• Proven ability to weave primary quantitative/qualitative research, third party research, and behavioral data together into clear, cohesive and compelling insights
• Highly organized, detail-oriented, and able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously across a variety of platforms (social, on-site) and editorial topics (health, food, politics, etc)
• Strong knowledge of the digital/social/video editorial ecosystem and how it all works and is measured from a technical perspective
• Highly communicative and capable of building strong relationships with colleagues and explaining complex topics in simple terms
• An inherently curious and strategic thinker that will work doggedly to connect the dots
• A lover of digital journalism
• Ability to work collaboratively with others to brainstorm and bring ideas to life
Note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in .pdf format with a cover letter and salary requirements