Lifestyle Editor, House Beautiful
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
House Beautiful is looking for a multitalented Lifestyle Editor with a strong aesthetic sensibility to produce how-to stories across platforms. Do you live for a good craft or DIY project, and know how to package it in a way that's both informative and beautiful for readers? Do all your friends turn to you for advice on everyday home projects? Are you video-obsessed? The ideal candidate knows how to pitch, write, report, style, and produce stories about crafting and decorating, and can execute larger service packages (across digital, social, video, and print) from time to time. Should be able to work a power drill but also style a shelf with the best of them. Must have 3 to 4 years of professional home/decor/DIY editorial experience, preferably on a major lifestyle site.
What you'll do
• Pitch and execute service-based stories (both written and video) such as DIYs and how-tos that can be optimized for both social and search value, as well as for brand integrity
• Pitch and produce larger service packages on a monthly basis
• Source and work with experts to lend authority to how-to content (contractors, upholsterers, etc.)
• Produce and potentially star in an ongoing video series
Who you are
• You have 3 to 4 years of professional editorial experience, preferably on a lifestyle site with home/decor content
• You bring personal passion for crafts and DIYs and service content, with an emphasis on video as a way to execute these stories
• You possess the ability to write clearly and concisely: We love proper punctuation, fun turns of phrase, and thoroughly fact-checked copy!
• You have experience with Google Analytics/Google Trends to help craft pitches that drive traffic
• You offer knowledge of SEO and analytics
• You know the House Beautiful brand and voice
For consideration, resumes must be received in .pdf format with salary requirements, a cover letter, and a link to a portfolio of work
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O, The Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels-print, digital, video and social-with sophisticated content creation, distribution and data capabilities. We create, package and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.