Features Director, Cosmopolitan
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Cosmopolitan is looking for an intrepid and ambitious features director to push our award-winning features to even greater heights. At Cosmo, we're proud to publish news-making investigative journalism, buzz-worthy juicy reads, and groundbreaking profiles that get turned into TV shows. We're seeking someone with big vision and top-notch editing skills to achieve our ambitious goals. This is both a top-editing and managerial role: The features director is responsible for all features-related projects across print and digital platforms and for managing and keeping the features team on track and on time. Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What you'll do:
• Ideas: You'll constantly be researching and ideating, then you'll pitch your story ideas directly to Cosmopolitan's executive editorial team. You'll also work closely with and guide in-house editors and freelance writers to perfect pitches that you'll bring to regular story meetings.
• Editing: You will top-edit one (sometimes two) long-form story or package for each Cosmopolitan print issue as well as a handful of monthly digital-first features and featurettes for the site.
• Management: You'll manage and mentor Cosmo's features editor and keep a close eye on your section's workflow in order to suggest streamlining solutions when needed.
• Collaboration: You'll work with all Cosmopolitan departments-print, digital, social, video, art, photo, fact-checking, copy-editing, legal, TV/movie development, and PR-to make sure your stories are accurate, visually arresting, digitally promoted, and read by as many readers as possible.
• Partnerships: You'll ideate and propose partnerships with investigative outlets, nonprofit groups, data-gathering providers, and/or other media brands in the interest of Big-Deal Storytelling. You'll project-manage these programs across platforms, focusing on consistency and cohesion.
Who you are:
• You have 10 years of editing experience, including specific experience editing long- and short-form features, ideally across both print and digital.
• You have 5 years of management experience.
• You're an idea generator with a strong sense of brand and audience relevance plus honed story-pitching skills.
• You pride yourself on your time management skills and on meeting deadlines.
• You are a strong editor who excels at perfecting story structure and editing for context, clarity, and voice. You can take a 5,000 word jumble and turn it into an organized, compelling narrative while respectfully guiding a writer along the way.
• You're careful and alert with respect to accuracy, fairness, propriety around delicate issues and subjects, inclusivity, and journalistic ethics.
• You have extensive freelance contacts and experience working with bold-name writers whom you'll bring to Cosmopolitan. You also have contacts to utilize in the media, political, advocacy, and women's issues worlds .