Executive Director Of TV / Film Production and Development
Hearst MagazinesLos Angeles, CA
Full Time Job
The Executive Director of TV/Film Production and Development will build and maintain lasting relationships for Hearst Originals with agents, writers, directors, producers, talent, and studios, and help establish Hearst Originals as a premium programming studio. This person will seek out business relationships and opportunities pitching Originals series, specials, talent and IP to studios, networks, streaming services, etc. The Executive Director will also oversee the development and initial production of series, docs and specials and ensure projects are delivered on time, on budget, and successfully fulfill the parameters and needs of our partners. The Executive Director will spearhead problem solving with studio partners and outside producers on all creative and production issues. A self-starter, who is assertive, enthusiastic and highly motivated, this person will have the ability to multitask and manage relationships, pitches, and development projects simultaneously.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What You'll Do
• Facilitate development of Hearst Magazine IP in all forms for co-production, sales or license to third parties across different formats and platforms.
• Develop and supervise the production of original video programming, including short and long-form scripted and documentary series, feature-length documentaries, and other types of premium video.
• Self-generate show ideas and concepts, and field pitches from outside producers.
• Identify and cultivate new and existing talent and creators from diverse communities, platforms and outlets.
• Ideate and initiate projects around stories, themes, and subject matter covered by the many Hearst Magazine brands.
• Oversee a detailed project tracker, ensuring all internal stakeholders are clear on project status, from pitch (or pass) to delivery.
• Keep up to date on trends, strategies and the overall landscape of other video creation and distribution brands, whether boutique or broad.
• Travel as needed (when safely possible) to help pitch and sell series.
• Keen interest in experimentation and thinking of new formats to tell incredible and always entertaining stories.
Who You Are
• You have a demonstrated track record developing/selling/producing commercially successful and/or critically acclaimed IP to various platforms and partners.
• You have a deep history and relationships with a multitude of buyers.
• You have a minimum of 10 years of development experience, in scripted and non-scripted programming. Acquisitions experience is a plus.
• You have a track record of partnering with business affairs and production operations, i.e., negotiations, budgets, etc. and strong working relationships with production communities in NY, LA and beyond.
• You have a track record of excellence in creating and nurturing talent relationships with a wide range of creators throughout the creative process, end to end.
• You have solid knowledge and understanding of the domestic and international TV marketplace, digital media landscape, including social media platforms, TV/OTT, and overarching trends in video consumption.
• You have the proven ability to lead small teams as well as work independently.
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest online content creators and publishers in the world, with iconic and innovative brands that reach more than 150 million readers and viewers every month in the United States alone. But we're more than just our iconic magazines, such as Cosmopolitan, Harper's BAZAAR, Esquire, ELLE, Popular Mechanics and O, The Oprah Magazine. Hearst Originals is dedicated to creating and distributing original video content for all platforms. Hearst Originals continues to experience record growth across its slate of episodic digital series, including ELLE's ''Song Association,'' Harper's BAZAAR's ''Go to Bed With Me,'' Men's Health's ''Gym & Fridge,'' O, The Oprah Magazine's ''The OG Chronicles,'' Delish's ''Iconic Eats'' and the popular lifestyle YouTube channels, Clevver News, Clevver TeVe and Clevver Style.