Engineering and Tech Lead
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Do you dig a challenge and working with a team of dedicated revolutionaries mentored and housed in the world's premier publishing firm?
Hearst Magazine Media is seeking an Engineering and Technical Lead to join our Pattern & Shape initiative, a new, innovative B2B insights project that will leverage Hearst first party data, 3rd party partner data and client data to generate disruptive insights for our advertising clients, initially serving the fashion and luxury verticals. With leading U.S. print and digital brands like Harper's BAZAAR, Elle, Esquire and Marie Claire, we benefit from a global leadership position in fashion and luxury, which we will leverage to provide a disruptive data and insights to better inform the media and marketing efforts of our advertising partners.
As such, we are seeking a technical member of the team who can act as a co-founder with a laundry list of expertise and skills willing to get knee deep in ideating around solutions and building the framework, architecture and doing a lot of the development itself. Must be heavily invested in problem solving and passionate about making media faster, better, stronger.
The ideal candidate likes the challenge of innovating, has already built something from scratch, intuitively understands new product and can contribute to our vision, who is also able to take responsibility for the entire stack.
The required responsibilities include:
• Be biased towards action, invent, build and iterate on new and existing platforms ensuring the architecture remains flexible and is ready for scale
• Lead all technical aspects of product strategy, ensuring alignment with business goals.
• Prioritize, scope and execute feature roadmap
• Communicate technology strategies to executive
• Mentor and advise developers in building the features required by the market, rapidly develop new features to enhance the functionality and performance.
• Drive a disciplined, agile development process, striking the right balance between rapid iteration and shipping clean, well-tested code.
• Work with the business development team to ideate, synthesizing customer feedback and defining use cases, feature sets for future development.
• Build out continuous integration, BDD test environments, and system provisioning scripts.
• Work with frontend developers to find ways to push the limits of existing technologies in service of creating the best possible user experience.
• Comfort designing specifications and architecture for performance and cost efficiencies
• Relevant study or experience in Computer Sciences, Software Engineering. Advanced degree is a plus.
• Minimum 5 years of hands-on coding experience, including some subset of the following:
o Python development (full stack Django a plus)
o AWS or GCP cloud services: (EC2, EMR, RDS, Redshift) or (BigQuery, Cloud Storage)
o Understanding of data flows, data architecture, ETL and processing of structured and unstructured data
o Experience with CI tools, containers, and Git
o Strong SQL and SQL-based technologies (eg. PostgreSQL); NoSQL, Cassandra, HBase, MongoDB or Couchbase usage or tinkering a plus
o Experienced with Java; Scala and/or Kafka a plus
• Previous startup and/or entrepreneurship experience is a plus
• UNIX/Linux background and familiarity with distributed systems, asynchronous messaging, and network protocols. Familiarity with data serialization formats like XML, JSON, Thrift, Avro, and Protocol Buffers
• Big Data Technology understanding with Hadoop experience
• A solid understanding and experience building APIs, databases, security best practices, and proper maintenance of a backend
• A shared belief in our mission of transforming media with a strong independent work ethic, and an ability to do big things with a small team
We know that's a lot of advanced technologies, but don't be intimidated! These are the tools that you could get to learn and use. We're looking for talent and will invest in the right person. We wear multiple hats, roll up our sleeves and get it done. We're not afraid to fail, and we celebrate our wins together. We expect every single team member to have an entrepreneurial mindset and create things that have not existed before. If that sounds up your alley, then definitely apply.
We make cool things happen, join us so you can too.