Director Of Editorial Insights
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Hearst Magazines is looking for an audience-obsessed data strategist with a passion for helping content creators turn numbers into action plans. Reporting to the Executive Director of Content Strategy, the Director of Editorial Insights leads all reporting and research efforts across our growing and diverse portfolio of 25 titles, including Cosmopolitan, Harper's Bazaar, Delish, Good Housekeeping, Men's Health and Woman's Health.
Managing a small team of insights-focused analysts, this role oversees all aspects of audience tracking for our editorial organization - from reporting about what happened today on our dotcoms and social platforms to leading audience research projects that inform tomorrow's editorial ambitions in video, print, and online.
The ideal candidate is ready to roll up his or her sleeves and dig into reporting tools, create tracking and dashboards for individual initiatives and teams, and work with our Hearst content creators to answer questions such as:
• How do we define and measure 'loyalty'? Who are our most loyal readers?
• What are our most successful franchises across platforms?
• What videos get the most engaged watch time and why on site, social and beyond?
• Lead an insights and editorial analytics team to define and execute long-term tracking and insights gathering, as well as respond quickly and thoughtfully to real-time requests
• Help define our next success metrics and develop regular pacing and daily/weekly/monthly recaps that track against editorial goals, both online and in print
• Work with editorial teams across the org to ensure data and insights are clear, actionable, and guide content strategies
• Stay on top of the content performance of our editorial portfolio, sharing feedback with editors and monitoring gains and losses
• Partner with the Hearst Data Studio to continue to define and refine our core audience metrics, reporting tools, and how we streamline data delivery
• Work with editorial teams to develop, test, and track innovative editorial and social packaging and share learnings to other teams across the org
• Be the internal expert and a proactive mentor teaching editors how to make better data-driven decisions and use available tools/reports
• Research and share broader audience insights to key Hearst Magazines stakeholders at the Director, VP, and Executive levels for presentations, special projects, and more
• Work closely with cross-functional teams, including the Hearst Data Studio, audience development and biz dev, product, marketing, and others to ID and vet new opportunities
• 7 years working in data analytics and/or audience or editorial research at a consumer-facing company, preferably a media-related business
• ?Previous management experience
• Deep knowledge of Google Analytics and other editorial audience-tracking resources and tools, such as Crowdtangle, Facebook Insights, ComScore, etc.
• An expert in analyzing data, interpreting results, and building digestible reports in Excel, Google Slides, and other BI tools
• Proven ability to weave primary quantitative/qualitative research, third party research, and behavioral data together into clear, cohesive, and compelling insights
• Highly detail-oriented and able to juggle multiple projects simultaneously across a variety of platforms and editorial topics
• Strong knowledge of the different editorial ecosystems - magazine, online, social, video, etc - and how they all work and are measured from a technical perspective
• Well-versed in building strong relationships with colleagues and explaining complex topics in simple terms
• An inherently curious and strategic thinker that will break things down to connect the dots between data and next steps
• A lover of journalism!
Note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in .pdf format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work