Director, Editorial Data & Analytics
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Hearst Magazines is looking for a data lover with a passion for digging into the numbers and getting that information into people's hands. Joining the growing Editorial Insights team, this seasoned analyst will oversee the development and distribution of audience reporting across our websites, social extensions, and other emerging editorial initiatives - all with the goal of helping our creative teams and leadership track and measure how millions of readers interact with our brands daily.
In this role, you will be the caretaker of our content data: ID'ing key metrics of success, building out critical reporting tools, synthesizing data sets, and creating automated technical solutions that streamline and deliver complex audience info in actionable ways. This role will have the opportunity to hire, manage, and mentor a junior analyst. As part of a growing business intelligence org, this position also partners regularly with our data engineering and product teams, data scientists, and other analysts across the org.
Ideal candidates should be comfortable interrogating large, disparate data sets and working in BI tools (especially Looker, Google Analytics and Google Data Studio) to develop views for end users - all with an eye towards automation and creating self-serve solutions. Experience with writing SQL or LookML queries is a must.
What you'll do
• Lead the creation, refinement, and maintenance of existing reporting tools and resources that provide creators and strategists across the Hearst Magazines portfolio daily intel on their audience and the impact of their work.
• Work with Editorial Insights team leadership and other strategists to develop new reporting tools - with a keen focus on automated solutions - that track against key audience and performance goals and measure impact.
• Partner with the data, product and engineering teams to vet and develop new audience data sources and create ongoing efficiencies within BI tools, such as Looker and Google Analytics.
• Manage a junior data analyst, mentoring on best practices and overseeing daily projects; supporting the analyst's data collection efforts, as needed, including sourcing, combining, and synthesizing multiple data sets and helping to build new reporting tools.
• Serve as an internal expert and proactive data mentor, teaching others how to read and understand reporting and pull data for their own bespoke needs using created tools.
• Share learnings with key stakeholders at the executive level, creating data visualizations and sharing findings.
• Work closely with and support additional reporting needs of other cross-functional teams, including aud dev specialists and marketers, revenue analysts, product managers, data scientists, SEO and social strategists, and others to track the success of new strategic initiatives and develop new enterprise-level reporting (e.g. site video engagement, Membership subscriptions, and more).
Who you are:
• 8 years working in data analytics at a consumer-facing company; experience with a media-related business or platform a plus.
• Deep knowledge of Google Analytics, Looker, Adobe Analytics, and/or other content analytics and BI tools.
• Fluent in SQL; must be comfortable with working with multiple data sets, and familiar with the technical architecture of digital media products.
• Experience analyzing, interpreting, and visualizing data into clean, clear, and digestible dashboards and reports. Past background in developing automated reporting solutions and data products is ideal.
• Highly communicative and capable of building strong relationships with colleagues and explaining complex topics in simple and influential terms.
• Organized, detail-oriented, and comfortable juggling multiple projects simultaneously across a variety of platforms and topics. We work in a daily, fast-paced environment, where the ability to deliver quick info is essential.
• Solid knowledge of the media distribution and measurement ecosystem and how it all works, from a technical and strategic perspective.
• An inherently curious person that will work doggedly to connect the dots.
• A lover of media and interest in its ongoing evolution.