Director, Business Affairs, Hearst Originals
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
The impact you'll have
As Director of Business Affairs, you will be a primary point of contact at Hearst Originals on business affairs matters relating to video production. The successful candidate will have extensive experience in negotiating content and talent deals and will be familiar with the digital media and video production landscape with a strong understanding of legal issues. In addition, the candidate must be able to work effectively in a complex environment with different stakeholders, including senior management, legal, partnership, video and editorial teams.
What you'll do
• Serve as a liaison between attorneys and production teams.
• Negotiate and administer vendor agreements and manage a heavy volume of correspondence and contracts.
• Work side by side with producers to vet vendor bids and negotiate best rates
• Work with producer to flag legal risk with creative (treatments, scripts, rough cuts)
• Manage the execution of all needed documents for productions (location release, talent release, insurance, etc.)
• Lead weekly status meetings with production teams to review all legal matters.
• Negotiate contracts, including primarily agreements relating to the licensing of film and television content, options and proposals for television and digital including free, basic and pay television, OTT, and other media
Who you are
• Familiarity with union and non-union production standards
• Strong knowledge of production and post-production industry
• Creativity and innovative problem-solving skills required
• Strong organizational skills and ability to establish appropriate processes and procedures
• Strong knowledge of financial process and compliance requirements
• Ability to work with variety of personalities and able to manage multiple projects and teams seamlessly
• Thorough understanding and comfort with legal issues and terms, and negotiating strategy.
• Ability to effectively articulate complex issues.
• Strong project management skills.
Who We Are
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with iconic and innovative brands that reach more than
150 million readers every month in the United States alone. But we're more than just our iconic magazines, such as Cosmopolitan, Harper's BAZAAR, Esquire, ELLE, Popular Mechanics and O, The Oprah Magazine. We're a cutting-edge content distribution platform and proprietary data lab that's reinventing what publishing means in the 21st century.
Hearst Originals is dedicated to creating and distributing original video content for all platforms. Anchored by the Hearst Magazines Digital portfolio of world-class brands, Hearst Originals strives to develop unique storytelling experiences across fashion, beauty, lifestyle, food and more. Every day, consumers show an unparalleled commitment to Hearst brands and content, with over 140 million social media followers and over 1 billion monthly video views. Hearst Originals was created to celebrate originality and expand upon our foundation of creating the highest quality content.