Deputy Editor, Countryliving.Com
Hearst MagazinesBirmingham, AL
Full Time Job
Do you crave a house with a porch? Do you want to work out of a converted biscuit factory with an on-site ice cream shop, beer warehouse, farmer's market, and nationally recognized restaurants? Do you have a soft spot for old houses, vintage shopping, and Dolly Parton memes? Country Living.com is seeking a deputy editor to help guide the daily operations and long-term strategy of one of the fastest-growing lifestyle sites. The deputy editor will report to the digital director and will directly manage the digital team, helping the staff to evolve and grow the site. Along with helping to lead the editorial direction, she or he will also oversee the designer and help determine the overall look and feel of the site. This is a hands-on team that's addicted to finding viral trends and breaking traffic records, and it continues to exceed expectations at a breakneck pace.
What you'll do
• Top-edit 7 pieces of content daily
• Work with the site director and senior editor to spearhead the daily editorial lineup -
• Oversee and manage the site's editorial calendar
• Act as point person on the team for SEO content and growth strategy, working collaboratively with Hearst's SEO team to continue to increase traffic from search and establish new beats
• Track the daily online conversation around key topics and the site's core and targeted audiences, and pitch ideas for web editors, other internal writers and freelancers to cover
• Monitor analytics daily in order to help grow traffic and engagement across all channels of the site and social platforms
Who you are
• You have at least 7 years of professional writing and editing experience in digital media
• You possess a strong service-journalism sensibility and sharp line-editing and digital packaging skills
• You have strong knowledge of SEO best practices and proven ability to grow traffic through search
• You are experienced at editing and managing multiple freelancers and staffers on tight deadlines, communicating quickly and clearly
• You have a strong grasp of social media
• You possess a passion for digital news and online trends; previous experience covering women's lifestyles topics -
• You keenly understand performance metrics, including tools such as Google Analytics and Chartbeat, and make daily editorial decisions based on them
• You have strong visual and photo research skills -
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels-print, digital, video and social-with sophisticated content creation, distribution and data capabilities. We create, package and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.