Deputy Art Director
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Deputy Art Director - House Beautiful
Why House Beautiful?
As the oldest continually published shelter magazine in the country, House Beautiful has been helping Americans live more beautifully for over 100 years. In our 125th anniversary year, we now engage audiences through our print magazine as well as our website-which draws 10 million monthly users-video content, and social media. We want to help people create a beautiful-and happy-home and showcase talented makers and unique brands.
House Beautiful is searching for an ambitious and creative Deputy Art Director. This position reports to the Creative Director and will work closely with the art and editorial departments across all platforms of the brand: print, digital, and social. The ideal candidate will be ready to take the lead on digital and manage the day-to-day needs of the website and social channels. You're the right candidate if you relish working both collaboratively and independently, in a fast-paced environment. Must be an innovator and problem solver with an interest in home and design, eager to play an integral role in taking the visual direction to the next level.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment on or after November 15, 2021 be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What You'll Do:
• Create original photo-illustrations, infographics, design elements and gifs for daily digital stories and social platforms
• Collaborate with Creative Director and editors on art direction and layout of digital features and packages
• Art direct and assign projects to illustrators when necessary
• Design magazine layouts, while planning and executing their translation to digital
• Throughout all stages of production, manage and keep the creative process on schedule.
• All other sundry duties as assigned by the Creative Director.
Who You Are:
• Bachelor's degree in graphic arts or related field
• Minimum of 5 years of experience, preferably in publishing
• Experience designing and concept-ing for editorial, digital and social while maintaining the visual integrity of a brand
• An ability to take feedback and collaborate with a nimble team of editors and designers
• Proficiency in InDesign, Adobe Illustrator, Photoshop, and a basic knowledge of HTML
• Innovative with typography
• Strong photo-editing skills
• A well-rounded portfolio
• Self-direction in daily responsibilities and ability to accomplish all tasks without supervision
• Solution-oriented attitude in addressing day to day challenges of job