Culture & News Editor
Hearst MagazinesBirmingham, AL
Part Time Job
Culture & News Editor, Country Living
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, and Popular Mechanics. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels-print, digital, video and social-with sophisticated content creation, distribution and data capabilities. We create, package and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.
About Country Living
Country Living delivers useful, actionable advice related to all the comforts of home (design, food, pets, gardening) alongside soulful and spirited how-tos that embrace slowing down and living well. Our ''small-town'' community of millions of highly engaged print, online, and social readers knows that how you live is more important than where you live, and that Country Living is a breath of fresh air delivered whenever, wherever you need it.
The Culture & News editor will determine which news stories reach the Country Living audience, from quick-hit news items to relevant celebrity happenings to culturally resonant features. This is a part-time position (three days per week).
For consideration, please submit your resume in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to your portfolio.
What you'll do:
• Pitch and write CountryLiving.com's news stories, including celebrity coverage.
• Pitch and write or assign/edit longer-lead and second-day stories and bigger features.
• Edit freelance writers.
• Schedule the CL Facebook feed and syndicate relevant content.
• Determine which TV shows, movies, and events CL should be obsessed with right now.
• Coordinate with fact-checking and legal teams to ascertain stories meet all standards.
• Be intimately familiar with analytics and program content accordingly.
• Work with a team of digital editors and video editors/producers to meet traffic, views and content strategy goals.
Who you are:
• You have a bachelor's degree or relevant experience.
• You have at least three years of relevant digital experience.
• You are a strong writer and editor.
• You have good judgment as to what works to drive audience and engagement.
• You have a passion for all things Virgin River, Ben & Erin, and Blue Bloods!
• You have understanding of SEO, analytics, and social media platforms, and have experience tracking real-time and long-term analytics.
• You are curious, willing to roll up your sleeves, and keep pace with the constantly evolving digital landscape.
• You are a self-starter and a team player who can keep up in a fast-paced environment.
• You have strong time management, communication, and interpersonal skills, and-above all-are fun(!) with a positive and professional attitude.