Associate News Editor
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
This was removed by the employer on 4/28/2021 1:11:00 PM PST
Not to worry we have a lot of other jobs on the site;
Browse all jobs
Browse the Digital Publishing Category
Browse the Writing Category
Search for Associate News Editor jobs in New York-NY
Search all Associate News Editor postings
Are you an employer?
How do I hire an Associate News Editor? Associate News Editor, Cosmopolitan
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels-print, digital, video and social-with sophisticated content creation, distribution, and data capabilities. We create, package, and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.
Cosmopolitan is looking for a sharp Associate News Editor to join its hilarious, super-fast, pop-culture obsessed news team. The team primarily focuses on celebrity and pop culture coverage, but if it's timely and matters to millennials and Gen Z, they're probably writing about it . You will use your experience in news writing and editing to write and edit daily pop culture-focused articles and explainers , prepare stories for live events, strategize coverage opportunities using SEO best practices and Google Trends, swarm breaking news in real time, devise buzzy TV show coverage, and regularly contribute original reporting, with opportunities to contribute to print. The ideal candidate should be an internet wiz who is able to ID, write, and edit stories quickly in Cosmo's unique voice. This position reports to our News and Pop Culture Director.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What You'll Do
• Wear several hats-some days you'll be writing 4-5 celebrity news stories in Cosmo's clever, conversational, authoritative voice; other days, you'll be swarming every SEO angle of the latest Netflix show our audience is obsessed with.
• Cover Cosmo TV show staples like The Bachelor and The Masked Singer-you should be the first to know the latest drama, whether it happens on or off screen.
• Bring a strategic eye to the team by pitching original, on-brand story ideas that work to expand our audience (even on snoozy news days), and then monitor their performance across social, search, etc.
• Help the team break news by contributing original reporting and reaching out to talent, publicists, brand reps, and sources to elevate coverage.
• Prepare pre-written story shells ahead of major events.
• Cover live events like the Oscars and Grammys.
• Work with our op-ed editor on second-day pop culture takes.
Who You Are
• You are a witty writer and editor with 3-5 years in editorial under your belt, ideally with daily writing experience.
• You have the ability to write in Cosmo's voice quickly and consistently.
• You have a mastery of Google Analytics and Google Trends and can pitch SEO stories with high traffic payoff.
• You have a voice and perspective that will sharpen Cosmo's news coverage and help it become even smarter, funnier, and more informative than it already is.
• You have the ability to thrive in a fast-paced breaking news environment and juggle multiple stories at once.
#LI-AM1 This job is no longer available. Click here to view current job listings.