Associate Lifestyle Editor, Cosmopolitan
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Cosmopolitan is looking for a sharp, fresh-voiced, detail-oriented associate lifestyle editor with a passion for service journalism. In this position, you'll work closely with the lifestyle director to pitch, report, write, and edit health, fitness, home, career, money, travel, and food content (all of the things!) on Cosmopolitan.com and in the magazine's Life and Food sections. You'll also contribute to the front-of-book pages . Every day, you'll provide readers with well-reported, non-boring, fun-to-read, actually useful life advice they can trust. In addition to being a thoughtful, creative, and funny reporter and writer, you should also be comfortable editing and managing several freelance writers, using data and SEO to inform story ideation, and seamlessly integrating ecommerce into a story.
Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What you'll do:
• Write, edit, and produce smart, expertly reported, low-key hilarious trend pieces, evergreen how-tos, health explainers, ecommerce roundups, and more for the Lifestyle vertical
• Work closely with the lifestyle director and executive editor to pitch, write, and edit compelling and fresh content for the FOB and the Life and Food sections of Cosmopolitan magazine
• Manage and edit freelance writers who contribute to the Lifestyle vertical across print and digital
• Strategize with the Hearst's SEO team to pitch and write timely search-driven content
Who you are:
• You have 2 to 3 years of post-graduate experience writing editorial content (ecommerce experience a plus)
• You're a quick trend-spotter with an understanding of what kinds of issues, advice, and products resonate with the Cosmo audience
• You're well versed in finding knowledgeable, credible sources, especially when it comes to subjects like physical and mental health and fitness (experience translating scientific studies into human speak a plus)
• You are organized, digital-savvy, and comfortable with data-driven content creation
• You are a sharp, funny, clean writer, and a creative editor
• You have experience juggling several goals at once, from SEO to ecommerce or from print deadlines to digital content quotas
• You have a good understanding of digital media
• You have an interest in or experience with working with data analytics tools
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Magazines requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment on or after November 15, 2021 be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law.