Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Associate Editor, Men's Health
Men's Health is seeking a smart, enthusiastic associate editor to shape health, nutrition, and wellness coverage across all channels of the Men's Health brand-including web, print, social, and video. The main responsibilities of the role include staying on top of health, nutrition, and wellness news and trends, with an emphasis on men's health, assigning, editing, and/or writing breaking news stories, mining the latest medical research and scientific studies and translating those findings into usable information for a mass audience, tackling long-lead print stories and service packages, and brainstorming ideas and approving cuts on our growing slate of video series.
For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What You'll Do:
• Conceive, assign, and edit a wide range of stories in a wide range of formats, from quick news hits to profiles, essays, and features.
• Write relevant news coverage, essays, or profiles, quickly and accurately, as needed.
• Surface compelling, untold stories and respond nimbly to conversations about health, nutrition, and wellness with stories that will generate buzz.
• Partner closely with the audience development team to understand and act upon analytics to optimize engagement and traffic.
• Seek, manage, and grow relationships with both established writers and up-and-coming voices to contribute to print and web.
• Collaborate with the video and design teams to create the best visual treatment for each story, and with the social media team to ensure maximum engagement.
Who You Are
• You are a detail-oriented self-starter with a background in (and a passion for) health, nutrition, and wellness coverage.
• You have strong skills as an editor, tightening and crafting copy.
• You have good judgment as to what works to drive audience and engagement in digital media.
• You are a collaborator and team player.
• You excel at producing content with digital-friendly language.
• You are well v ersed in using Facebook Insights, Google Analytics, other data tools.
• You are open to experimenting with content types and persistent reinvention to create appropriate content for a digital audience.
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and O the Oprah Magazine. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels - print, digital, video and social – with sophisticated content creation, distribution and data capabilities. We create, package and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.