Associate Art Director
Hearst MagazinesBirmingham, AL
Full Time Job
Associate Art Director, Veranda
VERANDA is seeking a creative, detail-oriented, and highly organized associate art director with exceptional print design skills. As the No. 2 position in a two-person Art Department, you will have a hand in shaping many visual aspects of the VERANDA brand, working on all sections of the bimonthly print magazine, as well as social/digital content and other initiatives.
VERANDA is Hearst's luxury interior design brand, and our flagship product is an elegant magazine, featuring lush photography and printed on the finest paper stock. Now is the time to join our small but mighty team-in 2022, we are doubling down on this premium print product by debuting a visually driven redesign, expanding to a larger trim size, and adding more editorial pages to each issue. If you truly love print design and have a passion for interior design, this role is for you.
This position is based in Hearst's newly renovated workplace in Birmingham, AL. The loft-style office and photo studio are located in a vibrant urban marketplace surrounded by local shops, restaurants, bars, and even a weekly farmer's market-all just minutes from several charming residential neighborhoods.
To be considered, please submit a resume, plus a portfolio PDF or a link to a website that showcases your work.
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment on or after November 15, 2021 be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law.
What you'll do:
• Collaborate with editors to design print layouts for the magazine, graphics for digital/social content, and other brand collateral as needed
• Work with style and photo departments to conceptualize and art direct photography for assigned stories
• Commission illustrations and oversee the work of freelance artists as needed
• Process high resolution images and direct digital imaging specialist on photo retouching
• Attach text, prepare files, and monitor stories from concept through production, using the Woodwing workflow system
• Report to the Design Director, working closely together to establish styles, palettes, templates, and other visual elements of the VERANDA brand
Who you are:
• A print professional with 3 to 5 years of magazine design experience (and ideally some experience designing for online/social)
• A creative thinker with strong design skills, the ability to conceptualize highly visual stories, and an obsessive attention to detail
• A true team player with a positive attitude who can rise to creative challenges under tight deadlines and who excels at working both independently and collaboratively
• You possess a refined design aesthetic appropriate for a luxury brand, including a keen eye for beautiful photography and sophisticated typography
• Ideally, you have an interest in the topics VERANDA covers: interior design, architecture, gardens, entertaining, travel, style, etc.
• You are proficient in InDesign, and have experience in Woodwing, Photoshop, and Illustrator
• You have a degree in graphic design, journalism, or a related field
• Bonus if you have illustration or fine art skills