Assistant Food Editor, Food Network Magazine
Hearst MagazinesNew York, NY
Full Time Job
Why Hearst Magazines?
Hearst Magazines is one of the largest publishers in the world, with more than 25 brands, including Cosmopolitan, ELLE, Esquire, Good Housekeeping, Harper's BAZAAR, Popular Mechanics, and Oprah Daily. We reach more than 150 million people every month in the United States alone.
But we're more than just our magazines. We engage our audience across all mediums and channels-print, digital, video, and social-with sophisticated content creation, distribution, and data capabilities. We create, package, and sell products with cutting-edge technology and proprietary platforms. Together, we are reinventing publishing for the 21st century.
Food Network Magazine is looking for an assistant editor to join its food department. This person, who will report to the food director, is responsible for generating fun feature ideas and openers, as well as checking recipes for accuracy and style. The candidate must be organized, professional, and detail-oriented with a clear passion for food and food media. Our ideal candidate has 1 year of professional, post-graduate consumer magazine or digital experience in the food/lifestyle genre. Please note: For consideration, resumes must be submitted in PDF format with a cover letter, salary requirements, and a link to a portfolio of work.
What you will do:
• Generate fun story ideas, pitch and write copy for Calendar page, Recipe Index, section openers, various food features and columns
• Monitor, oversee, and organize recipe content, including recipe database
• Transfer and style recipe files into the magazine's publishing system
• Check edited recipes against original recipes from test kitchens and assist with recipe research
• Provide assistance as needed for cookbooks and other projects
• Field reader recipe inquiries
• Handle various administrative tasks, such as expense reports
Who you are:
• Detail-oriented, creative, and energetic team player
• A clear passion for food and food media
• Bachelor's degree in English, journalism, or related field
• Minimum 1 year professional, post-graduate consumer magazine experience in the food/lifestyle genre
As part of its continued efforts to maintain a safe workplace for employees, Hearst Magazines requires that all employees who receive a written offer of employment on or after November 15, 2021 be fully vaccinated (as defined by the CDC) against the coronavirus by the first day of employment as a condition of employment, to the extent permitted by applicable law.