VP Platform Engineering
Full Time Job
WarnerMedia Technology is seeking an experienced and accomplished Vice President of Platform Engineering to develop and manage the client, user experience and video engineering teams responsible for Warner Media's direct-to-consumer product. As the VP of Platform Engineering, you will partner with other leaders across the organization to help lead the strategic direction, development and future growth of our direct to consumer technology. This position will build and develop a global organization that consists of high performing engineering teams that deliver value to our customers with great velocity and consistency. You will own and drive technical strategy for your teams and provide leadership that creates an environment of innovation and delivery. We are looking for a Vice President of Platform Engineering to oversee a team of engineers with the goal of developing our services for content management platforms, content discovery platforms, commerce & identity platforms that deliver experiences across mobile, connected devices and Web. You will work across Engineering, Product, and Program to ensure the delivery of high quality services, API's and video platform technologies and systems deployed globally. You have experience recruiting and building diverse engineering teams. You lead by example, promoting a positive and inclusive company culture and fostering trust and transparency.
• Leaders: You are as passionate about building and developing a great team as you are about the technical challenges it will tackle. You will be creating the next generation of engineering and operational leaders in WarnerMedia and you get satisfaction from seeing them succeed with increasingly diminishing guidance from you.
• Technologists: You care about technology both for its own sake and the success it can bring to a company. You are able to understand and drive for excellence in every level of software development.
• Operators: You never rest in the ongoing effort required to continuously improve the way your team functions and collaborates with each other and with other teams. You value the people on your team for what they are capable of and constantly seek to remove process barriers that keep them from realizing their full potential.
• Business-minded: You seek to understand the business you operate in and proactively identify opportunities to improve our place in the market alongside other business partners.
• Results-oriented: You seek to ensure everyone on your team has clear goals and expectations and develop systems to ensure that when expectations are not met, you blame the process and not the people and aggressively drive improvements in that process.
• Zealous: You build teams that are drawn to take on the hard problems, navigate ambiguity and are willing to fail in the name of learning what works best.
• Design, build, implement and manage the consumer experience engineering platforms including clients, API's and video platform technology
• Build reliable, scalable and highly performant products and features using industry best practices
• Ensure the implementation of best practices on each platform
• Lead the development of applications that are instrumented properly to understand performance in production
• Work with QA teams to ensure applications are properly tested prior to being released
• Lead long range planning efforts for your organization that are integrated with overall Direct-to-Consumer Engineering strategies.
• Scope and manage new custom development projects and identify appropriate system architecture, features, solutions, timelines and budgets.
• Hire, inspire, and lead multiple high-performing, global engineering teams.
• Develop and execute product roadmaps with input from the delivery team, stakeholders, and operations and technology leadership that maximizes opportunities to improve business processes, develop a best in class product and produce results.
• Manage the SDLC including driving project plans, budgets, and toolsets.
• Partner with Enterprise Architecture to establish and evangelize architectures and patterns, shared code repository, and shared interfaces.
• Continually review the technology needs of supported business functions relative to new technological developments and trends and keep abreast of industry and emerging technology.
• Work collaboratively with executive leadership and senior stakeholders across the business and brands to understand their priorities and aspirations, identifying how the technology organization can partner to shape and support the strategic vision and roadmap of AT&T, WarnerMedia, HBO, Turner, Warner Bros and all subsidiaries.
• Bachelor of Science in Computer Science, or equivalent experience.
• 15 years experience planning, designing, developing and delivering software and operations.
• 10 years experience as a people manager in a product development or software development organization and operations.
• Hands-on experience leading a software development organization with operational excellence.
• Strong experience influencing and delivering results in a cross-functional environment.
• Experience in the development and operations of high scale distributed/scalable systems.
• Excellent written and verbal communication skills with the ability to present complex. technical information in a clear and concise manner to a variety of audiences.
• High attention to detail and proven ability to manage multiple, competing priorities in a fast-paced environment.
• Excellence in technical communication with internal and external partners.
• Knowledge of professional software engineering practices & best practices for the full software development life cycle including coding standards, code reviews, source control management, build processes, testing, and operations.
• Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
• Proven track record of building and managing high performing engineering teams.
• Passion for people management and mentorship.
• Exceptional customer relationship skills including the ability to discover the true requirements underlying feature requests, recommend alternative technical and business approaches, and lead engineering efforts to meet aggressive timelines with optimal solutions.
• Understanding and commitment to software engineering principles/processes (e.g. Agile, DevOps, CI/CD, TDD, XP) and continuous improvement through measurement.
• Demonstrated experience with in leveraging and/or brokering services from AWS, Azure or GCP, specifically in supporting deployments on one or more of these platforms.